Paragon HDM 12 reboots back to Windows

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Al Fischer, May 16, 2014.

1. Al Fischer

Al Fischer Registered Member

I have an Alienware M18x-R2 running Win 7 Ultimate.
    C drive on a Samsung SSD
    Legacy boot. IRST running with an mSata (as supplied by Dell)
    All working fine. No problems whatever with Windows or any application.
    Paragon HDM 2012 Professional installed and works fine on every other machine we own (Dell15r, IBM T61, Homebrew i7, Asus laptop with XP as well as others.
    When attempting to boot from the CD ONLY with my M18x R2 it will only cause Windows to reboot . (I hit F12 and selected the CD drive) The CD is Linux based and I am not Linux knowledgeable.
    Any ideas?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Maybe that Linux version is not compatible with your hardware, due to drivers or some other reason. Or a problem with the CD. Build a boot USB key and try with it.

3. Al Fischer

I doubt it is not compatible. I also tried a bootable USB. Both created from the Windows installed Paragon HDM. They both work properly in all other machines.

4. Robin A.

Another possibility is to build the boot media in a different way, although I doubt that this will solve the problem.

Go to the HDM folders in C: and look for the ISO folder, which contains the Linux ISO files. You can build a boot USB key using the ISO and Rufus. Rufus is a very good small program that doesn´t install. Or you can burn the ISO to a CD using your burner program.

5. Al Fischer

I have tried the USB stick but gives same result. Looked at the ISO folder and it appears to be what they wrote to the CD and USB stick. No idea how I could build it differently. I am not Linux knowledgeable. Played with it about 5 years ago for a little while.

What I have discovered is that if I turn ACPI off it will boot, but then Windows will not boot. Strange.

6. Al Fischer

Looks like I finally figured it out! My particular system cannon boot from the Linux version of the software. Created a WinPe version and it booted fine. Now I need to figure out where to get the proper drivers to be able to backup to my external USB drive.

I looked at the driver folders in Windows System32 but don't know which ones to inject. Any guidance?

7. Robin A.

The Renesas USB 3.0 drivers are usually used. USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics* USB 3.0 Driver.
    If you build the WinPE using Boot Media Builder and WAIK in a 64 bit system, you should use the 64-bit drivers.

Edit. If you build the WinPE using WADK for Windows 8.1, you don´t need to add USB 3.0 drivers. But write operations on external USB 3.0 disks may be faster when using the Renesas drivers. It depends on the chips used on the external disks.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  8. Al Fischer

THANK YOU. I will try them this evening.

9. Al Fischer

Well, I downloaded them and created a rescue disk. There were 4 files that I injected. 2 x86 and 2 64 bit. Something is still not right.

With a WD Passport 2 gig drive or a standard SATA drive on an Apricorn USB 3 adapter, plugged into a USB3 port the drive is not showing in Paragon. Plugged into a USB2 port both are showing.
    However when doing a Smart Backup they are not available as a destination.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need any drivers other than USB? I don't intend to save them on any network.

10. Robin A.

The procedure to add the Renesas USB 3.0 drivers is as follows:

Extract the installer to a temporal folder (can be done with 7-Zip).
    Look for the Files x86 folder (or for the x64). You need the .inf, .cat, .sys, y .dll files that are on this folder.
    When adding drivers to the WinPE, point the program to the files:

1. nusb3xhc.inf -
    2. nusb3hub.inf -

in that exact order. After you add the first driver, wait for the confirmation that the driver was successfully added before adding the second.

The Renesas drivers may not work with certain external disks. Also, you don´t need to add both x86 and x64 drivers. Add only the x64 drivers if you are building the WinPE in a 64-bit system.

11. Al Fischer

THANK YOU AGAIN! I owe you at least an adult beverage!

That fixed it PART way. Knowing what files are needed was what I think I needed. This is a new Dell Inspiron 17R that has an Intel USB 3,0 eXtensible Host Controller which apparently is not handled by the Renasas drivers. Knowing what files I needed I was able to dig through the Dell Driver DVD I had (to fix yet another problem) and copied them to the same folder that I put the Renasas files in. Made another CD and WOW!! it found the drive on the USB3 port.

Are there any other drivers you recommend for a 'Universal' rescue disk? I have several machines from old boat anchor with XP to several Del laptops, a desktop i7 with Adaptec raid, an IBM T61,
    and an Alienware M18X R2. Some have SSD installed and others a HD.

Also where can I learn more about this subject. I have Googled a lot but this forum seems to be the only source of good info

12. Robin A.

I use either the Renesas drivers in WinPE 3.0, or a WinPE 5.0 (based on Windows 8.1) with the "native" drivers.

I am using Paragon HDM 14 from the Linux boot medium, which is fast and works well with my hardware.

13. Al Fischer

This has been a real learning experience. Found this http://kb_wp.paragon-software.com/article/806 and read it. Carefully.

Downloaded WADC 8.1 and created a bootable CD without adding anything. It works perfectly on everything I own EXCEPT a couple of OLD laptops that are 32 bit. On my desktop the Adaptec raid shows up fine and my Alienware that would not boot the Linux image (AHCI problem) is fine. I had tried adding drivers when using WAIK but could never get all the needed ones on properly.

Looks like the WADC route is much easier especially for the less skilled of us! only problem is what it did to my Hughesnet usage allowance!

I think I have to load the 32 bit Paragon HDM and then create a bootable CD from it. Planning on trying that later but right now am continuing my battle with Dell on a new Inspiron that does not sense when the media is changed. About time to invoke their return procedure! Hopefully I can have both 64 and 32 bit versions installed on my machine.

This all started with my original problem of not being able to use it on my Alienware. I like the WinPe better.

14. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.