Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12 Suite : Back-up Question

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Merv_Wiz, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Merv_Wiz

Merv_Wiz Registered Member

I have come to the stage where I'm getting a message that my Back-Up drive is nearly full.
    What I'd like to do is browse the archives, so as to delete some of them.
    I want to keep the first back-up and a couple after the installation of certain programes, but I don't need all the others as they are all full back-ups.
    I think in future the way to go is an incremental back-up, so only backing up the changes.
    Can someone help me here, I can see all the back-ups but I don't want to find I have deleted something that will render the other back-ups un-useable.

2. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Merv_Wiz: If your backups are all full system images, rather than incremental or differential backups, then each one stands alone and can be restored independently of any other backups, existing or deleted.

Personally, and this IS a personal preference, I do weekly full system images and keep the three previous images as a precaution against zero-day viruses and malware. Full system images take longer, but they are not reliant on other parts of
    the backup chain being valid. If I was inclined to do partial backups, I personally would go the differential backup route. That way, you only need to have the base full system image, plus the latest differential backup. With incremental backups
    all increments since the base full system image have to be available and valid. Sectors do get corrupted and stuff does happen in the bowels of storage devices.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

3. Merv_Wiz

The problem I have is what exactly to delete, The hard drive shows 5 backup files but the Paragon restore window shows a lot more.
    There does not seem to be a way to browse and delete the archives within Paragon that I can find.
    http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag412/mettaliumMettalium/Snap2014-11-09at160450_zpseb5da89c.png http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag412/mettaliumMettalium/Snap2014-11-09at160259_zps3dcb096e.png
    Picture 1 is the paragon window and picture 2 is my back-up drive.
    I thought in the distant past I had come to a window within Paragon where I could delete all or part of an archive.

4. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Merv_Wiz:

To my knowledge, you can't safely delete a part of an archive. If you delete archive files from your hard disk, Paragon will still continue to list them in the program until you delete them from its database. Highlight the deleted (missing) archives within Paragon, which should be greyed out, and click the "x" button on top of the window to delete the archive from the Paragon Archive database. I always delete backups from the Paragon database first and then delete them from the storage drive. Paragon does offer the option to delete from the disk at the same time once you have clicked on the "x", but I once had that mess up a drive, so I always do it manually. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

5. Merv_Wiz

Snap 2014-11-09 at 16.02.59.png Snap 2014-11-09 at 16.04.50.png
    I obviously did not make my self clear in the last post I see a list in Paragon that is nothing like the actual backup archive, so I'm no closer to deleting any old backups.
    The first image is my Backup drive, the second image is what I see in paragon!!!!.

6. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

In arc_090414122216493 folder maybe many different files?

7. Merv_Wiz

I give Up!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.