paragon hard disc manager 8.5

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    im gonna buy paragon very soon but want to ask a few questions to people who use it.
    ok this is the situation,
    i have one 100gb usb external drive to store images on.
    i have one 160gb internal sata hard drive with 67gb used.
    using the best compression with paragon how small do you think the image would be?
    being able to store even 2 images rather than one on my external drive would be useful
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I've got paragon db8.5 so that is different.
    But on my 120GB external I set aside 1 55GB partition for archives alone.

Currently there are 5 on it 2 full drives, each about 17GB and 3 differentials of 1.23GB each. My windows drive is 20GB out of 145 GB total.

Yours is 67 so more than 3times as much, so IF you were the same as me you would need 34 GB for full image and could get 2 full images at 34=68GB.

Some differentials could also fit if they are 3.6 to 4GB each to fit in the remaining 30GB. You should always leave about 10% free space on drives for defrags etc.

But don't run any defrags ever on backup images! real bad idea!

I don't change the compression default so can't help!

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I assume that it depends on the type of data on your internal drive.
    If you have many files that are compressed by themselves (zip, jpg, etc), it would be harder to squeeze them compared to for example many text files.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

you shoulda got in on the free paragon hard disc manager 8 they had just a while ago, its pretty awesome imo.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    i brought paragon hard disc manager 8.5 today.
    i made a recovery cd using the pack and burn wizard works great.
    i then installed paragon hard disc manager 8.5 and rebooted.
    windows didnt want to load. so had to use last known good.
    now since i didnt do a reboot after i uninstalled acronis and the manual uninstall of part of acronis then the problem could of been eiether the install of paragon hard disc manager 8.5 or the uninstall or part manual install of acronis.
    im not going to point the finger since i dont know which one it was.

should i uninstall paragon hard disc manager 8.5 reboot then reinstall?
    or should i do something else first.
    there is still some acronis stuff running due to the last known good.
    i dont want to manualy stop them just incase that is what caused windows to not be able to boot normaly.

i still have alot of faith in paragon and just want to make sure paragon is installed fine.

i posted a similar message at the paragon forums but i thought i would post it here as well for more responses.

when i go to backup options/hot processing i can only select microsoft volume shadow copy. i want to use hot processing but the drop down list isnt there.
    thanks in advance
    lodore

6. Escalader

Hi lodore:

I use paragon products as you know. I had a lot of imaging learning to do before I got comfortable with them. You won't have that learning issue.

On your issues my experience with Paragon is their technical support people are great and I would start there NOT on forums. The mistakes I made were all due to impatience on my part and not wanting to wait for advice.

If I were you I would go off line into safe mode and uninstall both products.
    Run any cleaners you have clean up and optimize your registry.

Reboot see if acronis is gone. If it isn't find out if they have an uninstaller and use it.

Reboot, defrag and run register optimizers again.

Then reinstall Paragon.

Hope this helps you.

Again, start with their technical support I had daily email back and forth for many weeks they really were great!

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Great advice. That's what I'd do.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks i will continue my current support ticket.
    they have been very helpful so far so i will let them help me.
    should get support by tuesday or even tomorrow since i just added the comment.
    lodore

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hi lodore:

Apologize for not getting back to your PM b4 now about the xperience with Paragon and backing up with it. I been smothered in trying to form as many FirstDefense archives as possible and then testing their restore which so far is returned great results.

Sorry you're experiencing some kind of difficulty with the Paragon install. I never had a problem with any their programs going back to version 6.0 but then i changed computers by then that didn't have a previous Acronis product attached to it like b4.

The advice already offered above should iron out any problems, Paragon support is great. I stop short of saying there might be left-over ATI entries in the reg, but i have had a devil of a time b4 with both Acronis & Norton's products.

You should eventually find Paragon to your liking. Very user-friendly, no errors, no issues, almost routine-like for me. I been using their bootloader instead of XP's for a very long time in my multi-boot setup without a single worry or concern, same with imaging although i know i still don't have a complete handle on restoring yet. I obviously skip past some settings sometimes, but PARAGON is very forgiving of my bad habits. :rolleyes:

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought acronis would be easy to uninstall but seems i was totally wrong.
    its almost as bad as the old norton 2003 versions.
    i still have a acronis helper service running.
    i folowed the instuctions on uninstalling the service down to the letter but it still had the cannot load windows so had to do the last known good.
    i have had nothing but good things with trying paragon on my test pc.
    i have made around 10 images on my test pc and they all restored perfectly.
    ive restored using the recovery cd and using the blue screen module both work great.
    i have ordered the winpe recovery cd so if all else fails i can use that to backup.

i think your right thou there is still probaly tons of traces of acronis in the registry.
    quite ironic really since i didnt get norton ghost since i thought that would be hard to remove but they are about the same.
    im sure i can fully remove acronis and install paragon successfully.
    because i had to use last known good i dont know what of paragon works on the current install and what doesnt.
    if i uninstall the service of acronis again im afraid i might have to use last known good which will result in the same situation im in now.
    do acronis do any special removal tools?
    i still will never get why software programmers get so lazy when it comes to making the uninstall program.

i am already happpy with the experience with paragon on my pc upstairs i just need to get a clean install of paragon on my main pc with ATI fully uninstalled.
    im gonna email acronis support and see if they can help me uninstall the twisted mess.
    i gotta say the paragon unpack and burn wizard is so much better than anyother way of making a recovery cd. its just stick in cd and in about three clicks the cd is made.

later i will login to the paragon account and download the lastest version to make sure ive got the lastest build.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  11. Escalader

"i still have a acronis helper service running."

Just a thought what about using task manager to close it or services, can you alter the start menu so as to make sure it doesn't load?

Probably all dumb things you have already thought off.:oops:

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i could do that.
    im just hoping i can safely remove it this time without having to use last known good because windows wont boot....
    i could always disable the service in services for now.
    wait to see what paragon support say.
    i could always wait for my winpe recovery cd to come in the post then use that to make a paragon image.
    at that point i would have a backup and could then try to get rid of acronis again.
    it will be great once i can have paragon fully working and can make images in windows.
    im just really annoyed at how poorly acronis true image is.
    i thought at least it would uninstall cleanly but it didnt even give me that.
    paragon was worth every penny even if i just use the winpe recovery cd to make images.
    i should be able to successfully install paragon without any funny stuff going on once support reply.
    lodore

13. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Here is what I would do. Backup with Paragon. Download APM from Diamond CS website & if you find any acronis terminate them. Download Erunt & backup the registry. Download JV16 1.3 from " Last free version website. Load JV16 click on registry. It shows all the programs on your computer. Find the Acronis folder. Click it . Click custom uninstall on JV 16 . Find the entries delete them all. Load cccleaner click issues. Remove any errant registry entries. I usually run regcleaner also available from Last free Version. Load Registry cleanup, tools, do them all. I then delete all the registry entries. Sometimes I run Regscrub XP also. I then usually run VCom System Suite 5 registry fixer a couple of times Fix & registry fixer. I then click the suites fixup & reboot. Usually everything is gone. If its not I use Dtask manager & find the service click it & go to the folder where the service is. I then delete the Drivers. & Run System suite again to fix my system. Try this or some variation thereof it should work

14. Escalader

Wow, that should clean the clock of any and all!

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just curious - why the need to remove Acronis ? I downloaded paragon 8 today and installed it on a system with Acronis 10 and it seemed to work just fine.
    No suggestion that the 2 programs don't like each other. Is 8.5 all that different ?

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i uninstalled acronis because i brought paragon to replace it.
    maybe the conflict is elsewhere i dono.
    8.5 is mainly for vista support and a newer interface.
    lodore

17. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

lodore, you can use autoruns to delete or uncheck that service, i cleaned an old acronis 7 install that way, worked flawless

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

The first action to make is get the Acronic driver stopped then removed completely. There are plenty of free remove services programs that will do that. I'm on a different PC right now so i can't list the URL for you (sorry) but if you haven't gotten it off by the time i post here again i'll list them for you. Like suggested above, use registry cleaners and delete ALL entries from it. I have seen times where a program's dll kept some of a program alive even after an Uninstall. Search your drive and delete all those that pertain to it. I do think the driver is most likely the worse culprit since some can intefere with a new install of a related program.

Best Of Luck EASTER

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks Easter.
    step 4 on this thread
    dont work
    i downloaded the acronis snapapi driver installer extract it to a folder and run it. but it wants to install and not uninstall.
    there is no option to uninstall it?
    that is the most important step is to remove the driver.
    i want to do it in the steps in order to avoid any potential problems.
    lodore

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Sometimes lodore programs like nortons and i guess now acronis leave behind a mess on your pc that can prevent a smooth install of something better then theirs. Your Uninstaller is a good program that searches for remnants of leftover programs and usually does a good job at cleaning up the registry.

You can actually if you know where to look delete the registry references that Lock drivers and keep them from fully removing. It also on XP requires setting reg permissions to ALLOW in order to delete that junk, but that's the hard way, and you have to do that on as many reg keys as the program might have stuffed in your registry. I have done this a lot.

Looks like you need a driver removal tool to first STOP the driver and then DELETE it but you need first to DISABLE that stubborn driver.

I highly doubt any acronis tool will clean their leftover remains as you already see it wants to install again. Bahhhhhh.

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Is this an idea?

Go to hardware management and tick: show hidden hardware.
    Then look at: Drivers that are not PNP compatible
    Is there possible an ATI driver?

Gerard

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i will use autoruns to finish it off.
    so can i just delete the snapman entrie in autoruns?
    or do i have to delete other acronis stuff first?
    thanks.

23. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah same here, i run paragon 8 along with trueimage 10 and also first defence ISR with no problems at all. I back up my important data with both paragon and acronis, i don't take any chances :)

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes but i have a half uninstalled ATI 9 home and not version 10.
    which could be the difference between a successfull install of paragon and a unsuccessful one.
    using two imaging software seems a bit extreme knowing they could possible conflict in later versions.
    just pick the better program and stick to it and dont waste your money.
    i only brought paragon to replace Acronis because it made to many corropt images so i couldnt trust it.
    also i only have enough room for two full images with paragon if i use high compression.
    and i can only fit one acronis image on the same drive but it would be corropt=D
    lodore

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im trying to work out the best way to do images
    i was gonna do my first full image with paragon recovery cd when it comes in a few days.
    then should i tick the incremental option?
    or do differential images?
    i was gonna do say e.g. a weekly image.
    or more often if i have the time.
    100gb external drive
    one full image using paragon high compression =44.8gb
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.