Paragon Drive Backup Question??

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Raza0007, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

If some one using Paragon's Drive backup pro can answer this settings issue I would be grateful..

I am trying to setup a "cyclic backup" run on my root drive. When I run the wizard it takes me to the first step of selecting a partition. On that page there is a "change backup setting" option for advanced users. Inside it under "copy and backup option" there is a option for "perform incremental copy" where the program only copies changes since the last backup.

Now later during the cyclic backup process it provides me with a option of cyclic backup type where if I select "differential type" it says it will make one basic complete image and the remaining images will be differential from the complete image.

Now, my question is if I select the "differential type" should I leave the "perform incremental copy" option unchecked or checked? because if I leave it checked the 3rd differential will be an incremental from the second differential not the differential from the complete backup image.

Why do they have this option "perform incremental backup" enabled under a cyclic back? It should have been grayed out.

By the way, I manually ran a backup and then ran a differential backup wizard with the "perform incremental backup" unchecked and it made another full backup, instead of a differential. I had to check it to make a differential from the first complete backup.

Thanks.......

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I would untick it.
    much better to let it do difrentials week days and do a full every week or something like that.
    i always do full images but of course depending on amount of data it may be better to do difrentials.

when i last used paragon i cant remember if i had that option ticked or not.

I would open up a support ticket with paragon. they only take a few days to reply and are very helpful. link simply sign in and open a new ticket.

3. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Thanks lodore, I too want it to do differential backups after the first full backup

The two settings mentioned above seem to contradict each other so that is why I asked. Surely, everyone who has ever used paragon drive backup doing cyclic backup must have gone through the process and would know.

I will find out in 2 days anyway. I have set up cyclic backup to run at 9:00 pm everyday, with the "perform incremental backup" unchecked. Theoretically it should do a full back up the first time and differential backups thereafter.

But if you want to make a differential backup from a fullback image manually, you need to have "perform incremental backup" option checked, otherwise it goes on and makes a new full backup. Hence my confusion.

Hopefully someone else will know what to do... here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.