Paragon Compact Edition Question

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by TheMozart, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Whenever I want to restore an image, Paragon Compact Edition has to search all my hard drives for the images and then it displays them clearly so I know exactly what image to choose. But it takes 15+ minutes to find and display all the images, so I want to start doing a manual select instead, but when I do a manual search for the image, which file exactly am I supposed to click on to restore?

These are the files that show in the folder when I manually browse:

arc_180512081035487.PBF
    img_0_180512_081049215.PBF
    img_1_180512_081049215.PBF
    img_1_180512_081049215.pfm
    img_2_180512_081049215.PBF
    img_2_180512_081049215.pfm

So which file exactly do I click on to begin the restore?

Cheers.:thumb:

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Don't think that'll work. You must use your application to select the archive to restore, only it knows how to handle the files. Not sure why it's taking so long. I use HDM12S and it takes a few seconds to show 6-8 archives on a external USB drive.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm not sure how you found what you found but you can start the Restore Wizard and then change to File View and go to your archive. I would select the top level name and hopefully it will then allow you to pick which partition you wish to restore. I think the 0,1,2 after img_ are identifying the individual partitions contained in the archive.

I am not using the Compact version.

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I will try that and see if it works.

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I wish it would only search my USB hard drives, which is quick. What takes so long is its searching my internal hard drive and takes ages. I see no way to tell it to search only my external USB drive. Do you know of a way? It only gives me an option to search for images, but not an option to tell it where to search.:'(

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand the problem but I put all my images in a folder called something like ParagonBackups on each device that I store images on whether an internal or an external. No need to search, just look in the folder.

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

It knows, at least my app does to look only on my USB drive for my archives. As long as the same letter ID is used all the time.

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

And what file do you select once you searched the folder?

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What do you mean it "knows"?

Because my Paragon begins searching my entire C: and D: drives which takes ages and ages, and THEN it starts searching my USB hard drive.

What did you do to tell Paragon to skip the internal hard drive C: and D: etc, and only search the USB hard drive? How does your Paragon "know"? :blink:

10. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Not sure! I always created my archives to my USB drive only. Have you ever used your C:/D: drive for archive storage? You might want to uninstall Paragon and delete any Paragon folders left. You'll then have to "add" your exsisting archives to the list. It might be looking on drives that you've used before for storage.

Even if I don't have my USB drive powered up, it doesn't search my C: drive.

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok, so I ended up doing a manual search, and then choosing the file "arc_180512081035487.PBF" and that works:thumb: :)

So this now saves me having to wait for 15minutes while it does a search of ALL my hard drives.

12. wptski

wptski Registered Member

It shouldn't be searching your entire system for archives if they are currently located on your USB drive. It's up to you if you want to live with it working this way.

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Well what it should be doing and what it actually does do, are 2 separate things that I would need to gain access to the CODE and rewrite the CODE, because when I boot Paragon COMPACT EDITION boot CD, it only gives me on option to select, "SEARCH ALL HARD DRIVES FOR IMAGES". So I either select that option, or manually find the images.

What Paragon are you using that gives you an ability to "SEARCH USB HARD DRIVES ONLY"?

14. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Oh, your talking about from the boot CD! I'm using Hard Disk Manager 12. They have a different setup now which autoloads my USB drivers otherwise before I had to manually load them. So when I wanted to restore, I just select my USB drive, select the archive image and that's it.

I just select the top of the archive image folder and HDM12 handles the rest. No need to open the folder to select a certain file within the folder. Just select the "arcxxxxx.pbf" file, that's all.

The USB(3.0) drive is a docking station type where I can switch HDs and I have two HDs which are used just for backups.

If your using a USB 2.0 drive or 3.0 it's still basically a manual operation, select the drive then the archive and that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.