paragon BR 2013 setup???

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Mugwampbro, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Mugwampbro

Mugwampbro Registered Member

Hello everybody!
    I have been searching the forum archives for hours now and I need some help. Has anyone posted a Paragon BR 2013 "BEGINNERS GUIDE" for the 'setup' part of the program? I have the pdf manual but I don't understand a lot of it. Although it explains each options function, it doesn't give any.... 'for instance if you want to...blah,blah,blah' type examples. The guide is certainly thorough but seems to be more for (IMO) someone who already has a little experience with backup programs, which is not the case for me.
    SO...... I applied settings the best I could and generated a backup.

Problem: the backup kept stopping saying: "You must enter file name of the file for subsequent writing" (3 1/2 hours worth !) So I figure one of my settings inputs must be wrong. I 'think' it has something to do with the 'image split" setting I enabled, or where it asked about naming, etc. .... but I'm not sure (hence..why I'm here).

Also: It took 3 1/2 hours to do a backup of my C: drive/partition (178 GB) and System (100mb) files. (I wasn't even sure if I needed to include the 'system' folder but at only 100mb I figured, what the hell). Maybe 3 1/2 hrs. for 178 GB is fast, I don't know but I DO know that you shouldn't have to monitor a backup while it's doing it's job.

At any rate.... if there is such a guide for newbies like me, I would appreciate a shove in the right direction as I don't want to have to ask a question for each 'setting'. Here's what I'm working with:

Win7 Home Premium (64)
    Paragon Backup and Restore 2013 FREE version
    Intel Core -i3-380M laptop
    4 GB RAM
    1 TB Toshiba external HDD.(storing backups on)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

According to my experience, you have to learn how to use Paragon programs mostly by trial and error. For a beginner, Macrium Reflect Free may be simpler to use.
    If you see an option “Set image files automatically” or similar, select it (should be selected by default).
    Assuming that 178 GB is the size of the backup image, the time required seems excessive. But this depends on many factors, so it´s difficult to say without comparing with other programs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.