Paragon Boot Man' not seeing XP installed before Win7

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by outlawuk, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outlawuk

outlawuk Registered Member

This problem relates to multi-booting and selecting which operating system to boot when the computer is started.
    I recently bought Disk Manager 12 specifically for the boot manager facility and I cannot get it to do what I was hoping for.
    Here goes.... I made myself a new computer and following advice I installed the older version of Windows (XP) first. I then installed Win7 second.
    I would like to select which operating system to boot from the initial Paragon boot manager menu.
    The machine has several disks. For purpose of this problem I will only refer to Disk 1 (SSD) and Disk 2 (hard drive).
    I installed XP onto disk 2. When it clean installed the installer wanted to do something with Disk 1 although the XP system is actually installed on disk 2.
    I presume/guess there is some kind of boot loader, tiny file only on disk 1?
    XP would boot perfectly so I moved to the next step.....

I then clean installed Win7 64bit onto Disk 1.

I can now boot into both operating systems but only through the TWO separate Microsoft boot menu screens. Win7 first asks if I want to boot Windows 7 or 'other' operating system. To boot XP I select the 'other' operating system, then a second menu appears asking me to confirm I want to boot Win XP. I presume that XP is creating that menu?
    So it does work, but it's clunky and not what I expected.
    What I really wanted was for the Paragon boot manager to shows it's own menu and I just select Win7 or XP (and Ubuntu and PTS-DOS which I will add later).
    Paragon is installed within Win7 as that will be my primary working environment and I am presuming that paragon can only be installed/activated once so I did not want to 'waste' my one registration by installing it on XP first.

I thought Paragon was supposed to do this sort of thing with style and grace!? but from what I am doing so far I just cannot get it to recognise that XP is a bootable operating system in its' own right on Disk 2.
    Is this not supposed to be automatic? I run the Paragon boot manager set-up wizard but each time it doesn't seem to achieve anything at all.
    The computer has an Asus MB with (U)EFI/BIOS. At present the BIOS is set to boot from CD then Disk 1 then disk 2. Both disks are AHCI and I installed XP with a 'slipstreamed' installer with correct driver.

I have created a Paragon rescue CD but nevertheless I am really worried about the possibility that something I do might make either XP or Win7 vanish. I'm certainly not stupid enough to delete a partition, but I don't know if moving MBR's etc will be equally damaging.

I thought this problem might have been mentioned before by others on here but as I search back i don't see anything so hopefully if anyone is kind enough to make useful suggestions it will also help those who follow on after me.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.