Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free and BD-RE (rewritable)??

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by RAIST5150, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAIST5150

RAIST5150 Registered Member

Is rewritable Blu-Ray supported, and if not...any plans to add it?

I've been Ghosting to a USB drive for years, and then burning to optical media for extra insurance. But my backups are hitting the 20GB mark now (last one was @21GB), so I'm pretty much just using a BD-RE now. That's a long process to backup D2D, then burn in seperate steps. Was hoping to just drop the D2D and burn straight to the BD-RE's in rotation (got 6 of the buggers) and use that USB drive for my video files (will help reduce my backup size in the process too...heheh)

Thought the first trial run on BD-RE went fine--was showing a bunch of files (500MB each, 23.5GB on it and all--but it stopped after processing only 134MB, saying the job was ended by user. Didn't trust it, so erased it again with ImgBurn and tried again--now it keeps prompting me to insert a blank disk?

Only thing I can think of is maybe it's because I typically use Quick Erase...gonna do a full erase and try again to see if that works. But if BD-RE is not supported yet, I'll just nix it and try the old D2D Ghost method to see how B&R does on the compression/speed.

That's what I'm really after now...trying to buy a little time before my backups stop fitting on one BD-RW. Clonezilla does a nice job (trimmed this same one down to just over 18GB...but it's a loooong backup with best compression.

Thanks!

2. RAIST5150

RAIST5150 Registered Member

OK...looks like I may have figured out the problem with BD-RE's---

Turn of the option to make them bootable.

This appears to be what was tripping me up. Once I turned that off, I was able to do a full burn from both a Full and Quick Erased BD-RE (ImgBurn) without a hitch. B&R also prompted me to erase the BD-RE when I tried to do a quick 8GB test backup to an unerased BD-RE--opted for a quick erase on that one.

Strange thing is, even though it was not written to the end, it still behaved just like any other burned disk: I could see all the files in Windows Explorer, and it was showing 23.2GB on it, like it had been written to the end with dummy files--but it only took about 10.5 minutes to burn it. Didn't have any problems erasing it with Imgburn either--it did a quick erase just like usual.

In all tests, backups directly to BD-RE were running about 750MB/Minute--not bad for media with only about 540MB/minute max burn speed...I think I may have found my new backup program...hehe. :)

Restores to the non-system drives directly from the BD-RE have been smooth and quick as well. Now for the ultimate test....off to blow up my hard drive and test the bare metal rebuild from the recovery CD and Blu-Ray. If this works as I hope, gonna be telling everyone I can about this product!!!

3. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

oh... I would recommend to backup to any external storage first (e.g. to USB-drive).

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Second internal for me then copy selected archives to external HDs.

I kinow a lot of people like optical media but I'm not one of them especially re-writable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.