Paragon Backup Free 2014 - downloading WinPE Builder

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by LittleGreyCat, Jun 22, 2014.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Registered Member

I've just installed Paragon Backup Free 2014 on Windows 8.1.

From my reading so far I need to create an account and log in before I can download WinPE Builder.

O.K. - I've created an account, and logged into it within the web browser part of Paragon Backup Free 2014.

According to the user guide I then need to go to the Downloads area which will give me a link to the download.

However I see no links to any download on the download page - just various column headers.

I wondered if I had to register the product - however the registration page asks for a serial number and I haven't got one.

So can somebody please help me to find out how to create the free standing recovery software.

There seems little point in taking a system image, to restore if I suffer corruption or other problems, if I can't boot up the software needed to restore from the backup.

Cheers

LGC

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Latest version of B&R 2014 Free has an integrated Recovery Media Builder. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/requirements.html

3. LittleGreyCat

Feeling slightly dumb now as when I look at the Start Menu I already have RMB installed.

However, when I start the wizard it tells me that if I want to mount network shares, I need to use the Boot Media Builder instead.
    So help again please :)
    I have backed up to a network share and would want to restore from the network share, so I assume that RMB is not for me.
    How do I get my hands on the Boot Media Builder?

(Edit)
    Ummm...perhaps I am confusing myself with the documentation.
    The web site seems to suggest that WinPE can access network shares.
    So - two quick questions:

(1) Can I boot with WinPE and access Windows network shares?

(2) If I have two PCs both using Paragon Backup Free 2014, can I build a WinPE USB stick on one and use it to boot both systems, or do I need a dedicated boot drive/stick per system?

Thanks

LGC

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. Robin A.

(1) - I think the difference is that when you use Recovery Media Builder you can´t predefine the network settings when you build the WinPE. You have to enter the settings every time you use the WinPE medium. The same happens with drivers.

(2) - Yes, in principle the same WinPE medium should work in both computers, especially if they are Windows 7/8. Just try.

5. LittleGreyCat

Thanks again, Robin.

So, if I did want to pre-define network settings and pre-load drivers, which software would I need and where would I get it?

Cheers

LGC

6. Robin A.

You can do both with Boot Media Builder, which is another program included in the paid versions of Paragon programs. Too use it, you must download and install the MS softwares WAIK or WADK.

Paragon´s procedures to build WinPE media are complicated and inflexible. There should be only one general program or procedure, and it should be integrated in the main programs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. LittleGreyCat

Thanks.

So WinPE for free, but Boot Media Builder paid only.

I agree it is all too complicated - hence my questions.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

9. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Registered Member

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, run the thing that says run-me-as-admin.cmd. It will ask you to point at the win7x64SP1 dvd in the dvd drive. That's it.

If you prefer, you can mount the win7x64SP1.iso and point at the mounted drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.