Paragon Backup 10 Free - Error 0x11113

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by krstahl, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krstahl

krstahl Registered Member

I have recently downloaded Paragon BackUp & Recover 10 Free. When trying to mirror my C: drive I get the error code Ox11113 "It's Impossible to initialize for processed Volume". I have WinXP, VSS is enabled in Services. Trying to mirror to external HD, 500 Gb. All HDs are formatted to NTFS. Any ideas? I've never messed with mirroring before, so this is all new to me!

2. jcozzoni

jcozzoni Registered Member

I get this same error. But before the error, I get a screen that asks "Please specify where to find next archive volume." It's looking for a ...0001p.000 file. I see that it created a ...0000p.000 file, but no 0001p. What's going on? Can a reply be posted?

Thank you!

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

This may be due to a possible bug in the release of BR 10 Free edition. I will try confirm if this is true with our developers.

In the mean time, if you run the operation from the recovery CD, you should get different results and a walk-around solution for now.

Click on Tools > Recovery Media Builder, and burn a Typical CD.

4. fstone

fstone Registered Member

I got this same error. I was using the same software package (downloaded a couple of days ago) and was doing a full drive backup using Paragon hot processing. My system is XP SP2.

I have two partitions on my hard drive, the main, larger one is NTFS and the second one is smaller, FAT32, and hidden. It is labeled "OEM SERVICE VOLUME".

The backup proceeded fine through the entire first partition, but when it got to the second partition it gave me error 0x1200e in the overall progress window and it ended with a small box with error 0x11113. See the attached .png files.

I have checked my Hitachi hard disk with their "drive fitness test" tool, and it gave no errors on the whole drive after an advanced test.

I'm interested in the outcome of this thread. Thanks to those working on it!

Attached Files:

5. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

I am seeing the SAME issue with Drive Backup 10 pro..(see my post from earlier today) when a cyclic backup attempts to run as a scheduled task.

Only difference is, I only get the VSS warning without the 0x0033 thing in the message box.

Maybe related?

6. Paragon_Tommy

Go to Run > services.msc and locate Volume Shadow Copy. Right-click and stop the service, then right-click and start again.

I found this to work for a client.

7. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I just encountered this problem on a Dell Dimension 8400 computer. My wife and I have esentially identical computers. The difference is I formated, and repartitioned the hard drive to my liking and reinstalled XP Pro SP3. Hers is essentially as it came from Dell, except that I did use PowerQuest Partition Magic to break up the huge C: partition.

On my system, all Paragon apps work just fine, including all flavors of Drive Backup 10.

On her system I got the problems described above-VSS complaints, also the select archive message discussed in another thread. What I ended up doing, to successfully create an archive, was to not select the Dell fat16 partition at the start of the drive. I also had a bit of unformatted space at the end of the drive that I also did not select as part of the backup. The backup then started OK, with no complaints.

If I have any more problems, I will hopefully be back with resolutions.

Reed

8. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

In my case, this issue appears to be limited to my first partition that contains XP64, Dual-boot machine with XP64 and Win 7x64.

No matter what I do, I can not get it to back up the XP64 partition (which, of course, appears hidden) from within Win7.

Per Tommy's request, tried unhiding, assigning a letter temporarily, etc.,etc..

Still no dice.

Onr thing I have NOT had the opportunity to try is to load DBU Pro onto the XP64 partition, and try to back it up from within XP64. Certainly an interesting phenomenon.

9. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I have found a fix for the problem, at least for me. I had a discussion with Tony at Paragon Support. I mentioned the hidden Dell partition, and the select archive message, and he indicated that he thought that the problem had been corrected in a new release. If you go to Help>About, and look at the build number for hdm.dll, the old release is build 10327, and the new, recently released version has a build number of 10505.

Sure enough, the version that was causing me problems was 10327. I deleted that version of B&R 10 Free, and installed the new 10505 release, and the backup went well.

Reed

10. sufax

sufax Registered Member

I am trying to backup my C:\ to a usb hard drive. The software creates the arc folder and an 8kb .PBF file along with a 4kb .000 file within the folder. Then it gives me the vss failed with error 0x11113.

I have downloaded and installed the newest version 10505 per reedm's post, but the backup still fails with the same error. I then tried stopping and restarting the Volume Shadow Copy service as per Paragon_Tommy's post, but still no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

11. Paragon_Tommy

Have you tried using Paragon Hot Procressing instead of VSS. Also, we might want to try to run the backup from the Recovery CD, if that still doesn't work, then there's something wrong with the hard drive. Check Disk is always recommended.

12. sufax

sufax Registered Member

I just tried Paragon Hot Processing. There are no options available to select for the Hot Processing temporary drive. The backup attempt failed due to "unable to find temporary storage". How do I make a drive available for temporary storage?

Also, I noticed in the disk view graphic that there seems to be a 10.3MB unallocated (green/Fat16?) space on the drive. This space does not appear in Windows Disk Management. This drive contains a fresh XP install from my Dell reinstall CD after a NTFS format of the hard drive. Is this my problem? If so, how do I resolve it?

I did check "Enable 64kb clusters for Fat16" before I tried to run the Hot Processing.

Thanks for the help!

13. Paragon_Tommy

Do you mean a teal color thin segment? Under Disk View, if it's actually unallocated space, it will say "unallocated" and 10.3MB size. Don't be alarm, Windows need a small free space at the end if it's ever to convert to dynamic volume.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  14. sufax

sufax Registered Member

Hi Tommy,

The color is teal which matches the key at the bottom for Fat16, and it does say "(Unallocated)". I'm not worried about it, but wondering if this is causing my problem.

If the unallocated Fat16 space isn't causing my problem, then how do I select a temporary drive for Hot Processing. There is nothing listed in the selection dropdown box in the Hot Processing Options. I need to get past the "Error 0x11113" vss error or the "unable to find temporary storage" Hot Processing error that I am getting?

By the way, I also ran check disk per your recommendation. There were no problems with the drive.

Thanks,
    Sufax

15. dagersh

dagersh Registered Member

I too, am having this exact problem. When I don't select the Dell restore volume to back up, I no longer get the apparently unanswerable "Please specify where to find the next archive volume" question, but I still get the "Operation failed: It's impossible to initialize VSS for processed volume" error.

I've tried changing the Hot Processing options as suggested, but no change. I've also updated to the most recent build, with no change either.

I was looking forward to trying Paragon after reading some good reviews, but this is aggravating. I hope there's a fix to be found! :doubt:

16. dagersh

dagersh Registered Member

Okay, I seem to have got part of it to work. I unchecked the 47 MB "Local Disk" FAT16 green partition, and it's now moving forward and doing the first backup.

Is skipping this green partition going to come back to haunt me later, or is it not necessary to back it up?

For the record, I'm on a Vista 32-bit system.

I also am not backing up the Dell restore partition, due to the "specify where to find the next archive volume" problem.

17. Paragon_Tommy

Hi dagersh,

From my experience, the dell utility partitions are not extremely important or necessary when you go to restore the system. It won't affect your operating system. They're basically just diagnostic tools.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. sufax

sufax Registered Member

Hi Tommy,

You answered Dagersh, but you see to have missed my post which was immediately before his. I am unable to run a backup, though I have tried all of your suggestions.
    I get an Error 0x11113 when I try a normal backup using vss.
    I get an "unable to find temporary storage" error when I try to use Paragon Hot Processing.
    (There is nothing listed in the selection drop down box in the Hot Processing Options for me to select. I asked how to remedy the post that you missed.)

I also tried to run from the recovery media, and got the following errors:
    "Can't start due to incorrect bios settings......"
    "Try changing <frame buffer size> setting in<video configuration>....."
    "Can't open /tmp/wizard.tmp....."

Is there any chance that we can figure out how to get this to work?

Thanks,
    Sufax

19. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Sufax,

I'd like you to test backup one partition at a time. Don't backup the entire hard drive, but first your primary OS partition, then your data, then your dell utility, and mbr. Breaking this down will tell me if it's an individual partition is preventing it or the service.

20. Supamarioana

Supamarioana Registered Member

Hello there,

I encoutered "Paragon Backup & Recover 10.0 Free" a few days ago and just want to add some perhaps useful comments to the problem as I experience it myself. I have two OS (Windows 7 and Linux Mint) installed and the number of my partitions sums up to 7 (3 primary including the 100 MB Windows-system partition (all NTFS) and 4 logical (ext3,swap,ext3,NTFS)).

When I try to backup the whole harddisk with the program started in Windwos, everything works fine until the first logical partition (ext3 Linux root partition) where I get the "find next archive volume."-problem. Trying to backup only that particular partition gets me the VSS-warning.

But starting the program from Recovery CD works fine and I was able to perform the backup from there. So I recommend anybody else with this problem to do the same. :)

21. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I installed P10 on a friends PC last night and encountered the same problem (ERROR CODE: 0x1113) when we tried to do a backup. I had downloaded the program from Paragons web-site (last night) and allowed the the search for updates to run and install whatever it wanted to. I did a quick read of the above (by this time it was 2 am and I had to head home) and I saw that the "fixed version" is 10505 however the version number of the installed program is 8927 (30.09.09). Perhaps this is an older version but as noted I got it from the Paragon site.

If someone can tell me if this is in fact the latest version (doubtful) or where I can get the latest version, of if there is a fix for the problem other than those provided above, I would be very grateful.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  22. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

23. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thank you for your post, I tried downloading from the link you provided (I was taken to a CNET download page) and the only thing that happened when I tried to install the program (I doubled clicked on the downloaded exe file) was a brief flash of the command prompt box. I did manage to download a version 10 from ZNET which had an msi extension and this installed fine. It was not however the newest version 10505 which was mentioned above,,,,or perhaps it was.

The about page shows the following:

Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10, build 9105 (18.11.09 ) Free Edition

Components versions:

Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 9105 (18.11.09 )
    hdm.dll, version 10.0, release 10, build 10505
    biont.dll, version 10.0, release 10, build 10505
    biont.sys, version 10.0, release 10, build 10505

So is this the latest version or not?

I tried doing a backup and the first time it failed. I had selected all partitions on my drive (including the restore partition that replaces an install disk) as well as the MBR etc. I encountered the "find next archive volume." problem.

Next I tried a backup without including the restore partition and it went to completion.

In the one of the posts above it was indicated that this problem was avoided by using the recovery media to run the backup. I have not tried this solution.

My concern now is whether the build I have installed is the latest and if its not where I can actually obtain the latest version from. While I have not tried to do a restore with the image I created I am assuming (for now) that it will work but I would prefer (obviously) to be able to backup the entire PC rather than having to omit the recovery partition.

24. barnabyjones

barnabyjones Registered Member

I see that this problem has not been resolved, and that it applies apparently to all Paragon products that have backup functions in them. I am testing out Hard Disk Manager 10 Pro, and am receiving the same error message when I try to backup the hard disk on my Lenovo laptop which has a hidden partition. While it works fine when I image the OS, hidden, and first track (MBR) partitions separately, I am unable to image the entire disk in one action without experiencing this error. Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect do not have any trouble imaging the entire disk.

Clearly, Paragon has been aware of this problem for many months now. Has anything been done to resolve it? Thank you.

25. noumman

noumman Registered Member

Hi Tommy i need a little help
    I have connected an external hard drive to my laptop so when i want to take backup of C drive it shows me few more options which are
    Name:First Hard disk track Type:First track (this has a sub directory called Master Boot Record)
    Name:Local Disk(*) Type:primary File System:FAT32 OEM Service Volume Size:4.8GB Used:4.4GB
    and after that is shows my C drive, Should i select them as well for a backup, one thing i have notice is that if i select above two and C drive it generates a message "It's Impossible to initialize for processed Volume", if i select only First Hard Disk Track and my C drive it will not show this message and continue to start backing up, now i intend to start my laptop from external hard drive so Do please tell me which partitions should i be backing upo_O

Last edited: May 31, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.