Paragon B & R Free Edition 10

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by nice_guy, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nice_guy

nice_guy Registered Member

When scheduling full backups is there a way to limit the number of archives available at any one time? I'd like to keep only the last seven days or so.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

That feature is not available in BR 10.

Workaround:

Schedule a weekly backup to run Monday and uncheck "generate unique names"
    This way, the next Monday backup will overwrite the existing one.

Create the same backups for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc

Essentially, you will have up to 7 backups independent of each other.

3. nice_guy

If I do this won't all the 'overlayed' archives still show up in the archive list?

4. Paragon_Tommy

It will replace the old archives on the list with the new ones. 7 total in your case.

5. nice_guy

Thanks for the tip.

Is opening up the program and looking at the Log the only way to see if the backup was successful?

Also, the times given in the Log file are GMT not local time. Can this be fixed?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  6. Paragon_Tommy

You can change GMT under Tools > Settings. There are a few other ways to check if your backup was successful. You can browse into the archive or mount the archive to see if it would open and sample files from it. File Transfer Wizard under Tools will let you extract files you need.

7. nice_guy

I should have mentioned that the timezone stuff is setup to point to my neck of the woods. The log apparently ignores the settings and lists all the times in GMT. I think I've seen this in another place but can't remember where.

8. Paragon_Tommy

Do you know if it's reflecting the old time prior to the change? If you initiated a backup, check if the new completed backup reflects the correct time zone. There's really no other location to change the time setting except Tools > Settings > File Systems Conversion Options.

9. nice_guy

I set my time the very first time I fired up B&R. I've included a screenshot for you. The log is on the left with the GMT times. The right has my local time.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/429/18295483.png

10. Paragon_Tommy

Hello nice_guy,

I got some feedbacks from the developers that this will be resolved in the next build of BR10 and DB 10. Before, we wanted all the log files to have the same time stamp for consistency when they're sent to technicians to inspect. You build the view logs will reflect your time zone and when they're sent to us, it will reflect GMT.

Thanks

11. nice_guy

Thanks for the info.

12. nice_guy

I think it would be a great feature (actually essential IMO) to add an option to specify the number of backup copies to keep at any one time. The suggestions offered above to simulate this are clunky at best. It should be straightforward; enter a number and everything is taken care of. Like er... Norton Ghost does.

I have my backups started at system startup. This is a great feature which I find lacking in other products. I like the fact I have a backup before I do any work each day. I know what I do each day so if a restore is needed I can make a better decision on what backup to use.

I like the fact you use the Windows Task Scheduler. Why run extra processes and services when there is already a built in scheduler. Hope you iron out the kinks as mentioned in other posts regarding the Task Scheduler.

Finally I would like better notification that my backups, restores, verifies were successful or not. A results file created in the same folder as the backup would be nice.

My 2¢ worth.

13. Paragon_Tommy

Hello Nice_guy,

All the features you mentioned are available in our advanced edition - Back & Recovery 10 Suite and Drive Backup Workstation & Server.

Cyclic Backup - you can set X number of backups to retain, and the program will delete oldest archive once it exceeds the X number. Cyclic Backup can do full images every time or one full image and the rest differentials.

In the Windows Task Scheduler, you can change the settings to attempt after the backup has missed its time frame or retry for X amount of times.

Email notification is standard in the versions mentioned above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.