Paragon and Truecrypt

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Can Paragon backup and recovery free create a backup in a mounted truecrypt container on an external HDD?

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Well I've tried now, but not as a container, just a fully encrypted partition.
    On my ext. HDD I have now partition E:(the encrypted one, NTFS) and F:(NTFS.) The encrypted partition is mounted to Z: and can be accessed. But Paragon only shows E: Not Formatted and F: NTFS, Z: is nowhere to be seen :S, Z: is visible from My Computer.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You might like to see this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=260240

Hope it helps

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Thanks, the link to that topic answered a lot.
    Also I found that while a mounted container/partition is not visible in Paragon B&R 'startpage' it is selectable as a destination folder for a back-up.

One more question: In the link you gave me they said there are 2 ways to back-up an encrypted drive, from the inside while it is booted, this results in an unencrypted backup which can only be restored from the inside, so you're screwed if the HDD doesn't work anymore. Or the other method is using a bootdisc to backup the drive while it is encrypted, but then the backup will be really large, and you can only restore it using a bootdisc.
    My question is: is it really not possible to restore a backup made from the inside using a bootdisc to restore from the outside?(Though if it would work, it would be unencrypted)

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

If you backed up from the inside, the image is decrypted. When you go to restore it from the outside or barebone, the image will be restored also as decrypted.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Ah thanks, so it is possible to create an image/backup from the inside and restore it from the outside?

7. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Yes, as Tommy mentioned though, the drive will be decrypted in the process.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

ok, thanks for the answers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.