Paparouter plug and play anonymity router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Compu KTed, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

It's a DEDICATED Tor access point that routes your traffic through the Tor network.
    You just plug an ethernet cable into an available ethernet slot on your existing
    router/modem and connect one or several computers,tablets and/or smartphones to the
    PAPARouter via its wireless access point. Unlike other Tor solutions, there's also
    ** NO REGISTRATION ** required of the device to get it to work. It’s true plug and play
    anonymity.

http://www.paparouter.com/

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Compu KTed,

I posted about paparouter in msg #7 of the thread Anonymity Network Tor Needs a Tune-up to Protect Users from Surveillance here at Wilders, the contents of which may be of interest to viewers of this thread.

When I first learned of it back then (Nov. 1, 2013), my first thought was what version of Tor it uses, and whether it can be flashed with newer versions of Tor - given that Tor is a moving target constantly being upgraded.

Since I don't know enough about how the hardware works in this regard, or what its dependencies are with regard to Tor in how it works, it may be time to contact them to find out more information regarding my questions and report back here in this thread.

Thanks for posting!

-- Tom

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The question I asked was:

What are paparouter's dependencies on Tor, i.e. is a particular version
    release of Tor burned into its firmware, and if so is it flashable in order
    to be upgraded as Tor gets upgraded?

and the answer I got was:

Most people who buy PAPARouter only use it for Plug and Play but if
    you're smart enough to work a Linux command line you just use apt-get
    to update it whenever you like. Just SSH into it.

So, no problem for Linux command line users! I imagine they would be happy to follow up with additional information regarding repositories, etc. to help their customers.

-- Tom

4. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Hello lotuseclat79,

Thanks for more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.