Panda vs BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I'm starting a new thread that is somewhat connected to this thread...............

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=71878&&

I want to get opinions on Panda Internet Security vs BitDefender 8 Standard. I'm going to leave out ArcaVir just to make things less complicated.

2. Mannaggia

It doesn't look like anyone is interested in this, so the mods can delete it if the like.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

well i tried panda and bitdefender. i did not at all like the panda program. to many problems. the detection was not bad at all it picked up everything that i threw at it and i did like the interface nice clean and easy to navigate. the firewall was extremely lacking and is based on sygates firewall. very few options and could not even get it stealth at all. but the program was so buggy. it would crash all the time. thinking a reinstall was in order i uninstalled itfully cleaned the reg and cleaned the drive. tried reinstalling it, crashed right off the bat. finally got it to install. slowed my computer down very much more so than even kav. decided this is not for me tried this time to uninstall well wouldn't you know gave me all kinds of errors on uninstall did not want to do it. had to rebott into safe mode and do it there. what a pain.

on to bitdefender. i really like the interface to me it has a very upscale look to it reminded me of mcafee of some sort. i used the pro version but without the firewall. the detection was fairly good. picked up most of the things i tested it with. i did notice some slowdown but NOT NEARLY as much as panda or kav. i do not like that when the program updates it render you unprotected to retstart itself. you will notice that the tray icon shuts down then restarts. sometimes restarting the machine without even asking me. and i did notice that the updates sometimes said updated and when the checking the amount of sig's it seemingly did not update the sig number did not go up. i tried to do another update but it said it was up to date. it would catch up on the next updates but what that was about i wish i knew. they both compare very similar in av tests with panda usually edging out bitdefender but very slightly.

i do not know if i really answered your question here but this was my overview of the two : i personally would not use either of them. i do use nod32 right now and im looking for a backup scanner as we speak but it would not be these.

4. Mannaggia

I noticed the slow down also when I was trying BitDefender. I didn't like the way it handled updates either.

I didn't have the slowdowns with Panda, but I did have some other small problems with it. So it looks like I'm on the AV hunt again. [​IMG]

5. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I trialed panda titanium 2005 version, which now comes with sygates firewall. The 2004 version didn't have the firewall. I also trialed bitdefender standard.
    I believe pandas detection is superior to bitdefenders..However, Panda was very buggy on my system..It was interfering with kerio 2.1.5 firewall driver.( even though I chose not to install the firewall.

I think Pandas detection is better because of the"tru prevent technology" they have employed. Panda also scored higher in av-comparatives test. Not the recent test, because panda wasn't tested. If I remember correctly, Panda came in third place..only kav and mcafee scored higher.

I liked Bitdefender very much. Good interface, updated every 3 hours?Can't remember. Like panda, it ate up a lot of system resources on my computer.

I uninstalled it because my computer had a tendency to want to hang at shutdown. I would trial both and see which one you like best. I'm only speaking for myself now. If I had a new computer...and both these antiviruses ran good on it...I would choose Panda. I believe panda is one of the most underated antivirus products out there.

If You decide to purchase panda....Click on my signature link entitled "cheap antiviruses" You can purchase it there at softwareoutlet.com for $20.00 !! The company is legit. I purchased mcafee virusscan 9.0 from them a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Panda has better detection of the two. Titanium gives you very little control over your AV, thats why I recommend Platinum, its a more 'hard-boiled' product :D

7. g34

g34 Guest

Panda Titanium is easiest to use AV around!

They have good detection and very god detection of spywares!

They first started ONLINE_SCAN
    They first added spywares in detection!
    They first integrated Firewall in product...

The only problem I do not like is agresive advertisement when installed... it always pop-up messages........

Also I had too problems with uninstall... on 1 PC is stoped during installation and we could not finish instalation as well as uninstall it! They send us special tool do clean AV from computers but after 4 days!

Bitdefender getting better!!!!
    Also it slow down PC but same as KAV, Norton, McAfee and F-secure..
    Detection rate is good and I think its even with Panda.
    Anyway because of registry monitor I would choose Bitdefender but its just of bored pop-up windows in Panda....

I think Panda have better detection of spywares than BD

Also I do not know why people use other AV than Kasperskyo_O? Why do experiments when Kaspersky is always the NO.1 and others we compare to it.

8. Firecat

Variety is the spice of life...

9. zfactor

because some of us (yes i am going to say this) do not care for kav. i personally will not install it again. it killed my systems could hardly use them and yes it was a clean install. i use one av and i am trialing a few more for a backup scanner for the times i want to be sure. there is no "best" av out there. everyone goes over this time and time again. some do one thing better some do others. i personally like strong heuristics. some dont i did not like panda or bd. but if i picked one it would be bd over panda any day. bd is a very strong av they are upcoming just to buggy right now for me we'll see how they come with thier hive technology coming the end of the year who know they (dare i say) be better than kav or nod. there is just no best av and everyone can argue till the sun dont shine. just my points
    but of the two bitdefender

10. zfactor

right firecat without variety the earth would be a boring place to be

11. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

panda was buggy on my system like on zfactors.uninstallation was a pain..it made my comp very slow
    i will any day pick bitdefender..
    @zfactor-there is a setting -keep protection active on console exit -u can check it so that the protection is active even when it restarts after an update..
    also bd always give a prompt for rebbooting the comp for me after an update..were u using kaspersky antihacker at that time coz bd has an issue with it??

also bd was light on my system even tho it consumed about 27 mb of ram.the slowdown is very much machine specific..

12. zfactor

not using anti hacker here didt like it at all. i was using outpost st the time. did use a lot of ram but i did notice a lot of slowdown. overall i though it was a good product and even put it on my mothers computer because it was very easy to use. so it not that it is a bad program just to resource hungry for me at the time. i run a 3.2 @ 3.9 with all the trimming to go with it. so i did not want any slowdown especially after going through all the trouble of my overclock. talk to you all again soon

13. Mannaggia

Well since I started this thread I have given ArcaVir trial version a try. I like it but it slows things down on my computer. Perhaps it's just that it doesn't get along with my system. I will be uninstalling it soon.

I have decided it will be one of these three......BitDefender 8 Standard, McAfee VS9, or Panda Internet Security. I'm leaning more towards McAfee VS9 or Panda IS with a slight edge to Panda. If only Mcafee had daily updates instead of weekly updates. I know it's been said that it will have dailies sometime this summer, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm a little be of a sceptic. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Firecat

I'd say that you go with Panda as it has daily updates and good detection.

15. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

None of those two comrade... They're both products with some important weak points (regarding stability or update method)... Look to other products first, but outnumber this ones... (eg. NOD32, KAV, Dr. Web ect ect)

16. Mannaggia

Hi StyleWarz. I know about McAfee using ActiveX for updating, and I don't really care for the security center.

I didn't know there was a problem with Panda's updates. Can you explain please?

You believe NOD32 is better than BitDefender 8 Standard? Why? I wasn't too crazy about the different modules setup, AMON, IMON, etc. The one thing that I found buggy about BD 8 Standard was the update process.

Maybe it's time I gave KAV a try. It seems like I'm the only one who hasn't tried it. ;) :) I tried KAV 4.5 a long time ago and didn't like it. Maybe KAV 5 will be different.

Thanks
    Mannaggia

17. Firecat

KAV 5 *will* be different, you can bet on that! :D

18. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I'll try to answer your questions...

1) Panda is not know about huge update problems like Bitdefender has, but personally and some other people with me found it hard to get the latest updates "on time" so it can take up to 4 hours till the program downloads the newest updates... too long in my opinion... this was about 6/7 months ago, maybe it changed now...

2) Overall I think NOD32 is a better "overall" product then Bitdefender... Bitdefender has the better engine, but it's slower and the update problems are not nice... The different NOD32 modules are personal taste i think... (better ask more questions about NOD to the NOD users down here :p)

3) Sure, you should give KAV a try, version 5 is much more simple and faster to use then the old 4.5...

Hope this helps :)

19. Mannaggia

Thank you Stylewarz.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using BD 8.0 and have not had any problem with updates. I do not know how long it takes after a new virus is discovered until it gets to the update site.
    However, BD seems to have a better detection rate according to Firefighter's tests that I have seen.

I won't argue which AV is the best, but with BD and mwav I do not think anything is better overall. Frankly, if all I had was one of the free AVs and either A sq or Ewido free (I am using the paid version of Ewido) I would not worry about malware, especially with mwav as an on demand scanner.

Jerry

21. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Never had any problems with BD, either 7.x or 8.x. Support was good.

Panda, not a fan of their products or their support.

22. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

They also seem to have been the first to detect trojans placed in .wmv and .asf files.

I have used Panda online scan and have been impressed. And they seem to be researching and improving. I don't know the difference between Platinum and Titanium. It is sort of annoying to me when AV's come in different versions. It's sort of like my vaccuum cleaner having different levels of suction power. What are they thinking? Today, I only want to vaccuum up only some of the dirt, so lets set it at 50%? Same with A/V. I am interested in detecting all viruses, and want to have a choice on what features I enable. Why would I be interested in some watered down version? Doesn't it make more sense to develope one product that will work for all home users? And why are you waisting peoples time having to compare differnt versions? It is a very disturbing marketing trend.

Bit Defender on the other hand was a big disappointment to me. On top of everything else, it has got to be the slowest anti-virus program out there.

My vote is for Panda...sounds like platinum is best.

- HandsOff

23. Mannaggia

I decided on Panda Platinum IS. Right now it's the one I feel most comfortable with. I'm not using their firewall though, I like my ZoneAlarm free better. Of course the way I go from one AV to another,this may all change in the near future. ;) :) If and when McAfee goes to daily updates, I might check them out again.

Thanks to all for your input.

Mannaggia

24. Karen J.

Karen J. Guest

I know Panda keeps finding things that McAffee does not find, and it's able to remove things that McAffee claims it cannot 'clean' nor 'delete' nor 'quarantine.'

It has found a few trojans that escaped Spybot, AdAware, McAfee, Ewido, Microsoft and Yahoo antispy.

I get McAfee for free, but I sometimes think I should pay up and get Panda.... as that program seems to get the job done.

And this is all with the free Housecall. I think the full product is better, right??

25. Mannaggia

The one big difference between Titanium and Platinum is the price, especially if you purchase them at the Panda site. The other big difference as far as I'm concerned is, Titanium doesn't offer a scheduled scan option. I think that's BS concidering the price Panda charges. I believe if you are going to charge people that much for an AV, it should have a scheduled scan option. It's something I want in my AV. JMHO. Other than that, they are pretty much the same as far as I can tell.

I agree with your point HandsOff. Why not just offer one AV if they are basically the same except for the scheduled scans option? The $30 difference in the price of a yearly subscription is a little much. Geez, I think I'm talking myself out of purchasing Panda.[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.