Panda Titanium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kloshar, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

What do you think about this av software? I think it is good.

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I think there are better one's available. ;)

wizard

3. kloshar

You think that for every one. Which one is good for you? And what is wrong with Panda?

4. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I'm using Panda Platinum 7 and really like it. It updates every day. Yesterday it updated twice, once in the morning and again in the afternoon. Today it also updated twice, both in the morning. I imagine it has something to do with Mydoom and Doomjuice.

I trialed Panda Titanium and would have purchased it, if I hadn't found out about the free offer for Platinum. I think they are both very nice AVs.

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

There are a lot of good av scanners out there on the market. But there are still a few programs that outperform.

If you are looking for an AV program that is also strong in trojan detection than KAV or a KAV-based program like AVK or F-Secure is still one of the best choices you can make.

If you want to use an AT program next to your AV program than the best choice will be definitely NOD32. I am not saying this because Eset is running a support forum over here. ;)

Personally (besides a lot of different av programs I have for testing purposes) I use a combination of KAV (on-demand) and NOD32 (on-access/on-demand).

Recent test showed that it is not as outperforming as KAV or NOD32 do. For a summary of Panda's results at Virus Bulletin have a look here:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?panda.xml

Not really impressive if you ask me. And in regards to (backdoor-)trojan detection the latest review from Rokop-Security revealed also non-impresive figures.

wizard

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I think panda platinium is a little heavy on resources and with panda titanium I don't think you have enough control over the programs settings. ;)

8. fjioeww

fjioeww Guest

Panda is GOOD choice!!!

Many times i cleaned virus with Panda which was unable to clean with Norton and KAV. KAV and NORTON was unable to clean,delete or quarantine object which Panda deleted with no problems.

Also its very easy for use software.

9. kloshar

Well, I was filled with enthusiasm when I saw that F-secure couldn't delete viruses in an archive, but Panda could. F-secure said that virus couldn't be deleted because it was in an archive, but there was no problem for Panda.

10. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Well, virii in archives or compressed folders is not a problem, it poses no threat to you unless uncompresed and ran, if the archive is deleted then the threat is gone, and F-Secure will not let you get anywhere near the virus to run it. :)

11. kloshar

F-secure says that virus cannot be deleted because it is in an archive. And that is all. Let's say that I got a virus throught an email, I deleted it but there is still zip file somewhere and virus in it. I don't have access to it because I can't find it. That is no problem for Panda. It can desinfect, delete, ...

12. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

And if, for some strange reason, you cannot 'find' this zip file then its never going to bother you because if you cant find it and unzip it then its of no worry to you :)

But Panda can delete fron Archives so it must be much better.

13. wizard

wizard Registered Member

As long the virus is in the zip that is no danger because the virus cannot do anything malicious if it is inside an archive. It has to be extracted first and than executed. But that's already the point when your on-access scanner has intercepted.

Cleaning malware inside an archive might be a nice feature but nothing really necessary. If I find malware in one file in an archive that somebody sent to me or I downloaded from a web site I would not trust the rest of the archive content. It might be that these are also infected with something different which might be unkown for the av software.

wizard

14. kloshar

Yes, good, but you have bad feeling if there is something weard doing on your computer, don't you? :D

15. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Unless the malware isn't executed (and that is the case if it just sits in a zip file) there is nothing you need to fear.

wizard

16. zorrozorrito

zorrozorrito Guest

PANDA PLATINUM FREE? mannaggia, where can I find the free panda platinum, tell me please, thanks for the answering.
    I trialed Panda Titanium and would have purchased it, if I hadn't found out about the free offer for Platinum. I think they are both very nice AVs

17. StarFox

StarFox Registered Member

18. kloshar

And how is possible that Platinum is free? That is very expensive program so I wonder how can it be free. Can I use my username and password with Titanium version, too?

19. Mannaggia

zorrozorrito.....The link that Starfox provided is the place to get the free Panda Platinum.

I think it was originally intended for IT people. I may be wrong there, not really certain. Panda also offered it to people who subscribed to ZDNet Anchordesk Newsletter. When you fill out the form, you will get a username and password for Platinum.

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I downloaded the year free Panda Platinum. It comes with a firewall, which surprised me and I really like it. Had to disable my regular firewall, but Panda's is stealth all around so can't complain.

The platinum edition is fast on my machine. XP, 1.3G Athlon and 512RAM. It sets up very easily. My machine is clean, so I can't comment on virus catching ability. I may have to go snoop Warez sites or someplace and see if I can get one or two.

I like Panda's interface and ease of setup. I think it's a keeper.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing it also and I will admit it scans very fast. I have used platinum 6 but it didn't scan this fast. So far I like it and the price is right. And as a computer related business owner There is no guilt getting it for free :D :D :D :cool:

22. Mannaggia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like Panda Platinum 7 also. I don't use the firewall though. When I had the firewall running, I ran a test at Shields Up and it came up stealth on all but one port. Port 1025 was open. I couldn't figure out how to configure the firewall to close that port. Right now I'm using Outpost Pro.

24. Mannaggia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    I I really like Panda Platinum 7 also. I don't use the firewall though. When I had the firewall running, I ran a test at Shields Up and it came up stealth on all but one port. Port 1025 was open. I couldn't figure out how to configure the firewall to close that port. Right now I'm using Outpost Pro.

I don't have any instant messaging programs running. I'm no expert, so I'm not sure what else could be causing Port 1025 to be left open. I'm using Outpost Pro at the moment, and Port 1025 is stealth. I think you can set up rules somehow in Panda's firewall, just couldn't figure out how. Maybe I'll take another shot at it.

25. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I ran pcflank, sygate, auditmypc, grc, and a couple of others for the firewall; the usual group I always use to check firewalls and no problems here.

I haven't fiddled with the firewall much other than to block a few programs that I saw no need to have Internet access.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.