Panda Scan found these, what do I do?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by new girl, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new girl

new girl Registered Member

Hello, I am requesting advice or help. I ran Panda Active Scan - just as a doublecheck on my system (read about it in another posting). It found the following problems:

Common Name
    IGETNET
    WinTools
    SideSearch
    WildTangent

It said it could not disinfect them unless I wanted to purchase one of their Platinum products.

These problems do not show up on any of the other security applications I am running:

Norton Antivirus 2005
    Outpost Pro firewall
    BoClean
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware
    Spywareblaster & Spywareguard

I am running XP Sp2 with all the updates and patches. All my security programs are up to date and I scan weekly.

Are these problems something I should get rid of and if so, how do I go about doing that? Is it necessary to purchase Panda's product in order to do so?

Thank you for your help. I am not very computer literate so I would appreciate as simple of advice as possible.

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

They could be false positive or remnants of some of those exploits that panda found since they are good at getting all the bits..it might not mean you are still infected with any of the above and that they are disabled..But one thing you can do is clean out all the backups and quarantines you have in your security products..like Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and Norton..then also clean out your system restore folder..What is System Restore?

One of the new features of Windows Me and Windows XP is System Restore. This feature, which is enabled by default, is used by Windows to restore files on your computer in case they become damaged. If you experience a problem with your system that is caused by software, System Restore gives you the opportunity to go back to a point where things were working correctly.

Windows XP stores this information in the SYSTEM VOLUME information folder. These folders are updated when the computer restarts.

NOTE: Both the _RESTORE folder in WinME and the System volume information folder in Win XP are marked with the hidden attribute, and, by default, Windows is set to not display such files or folders.

Even after you have found a virus and your AV has cleaned your PC you still might get an indication you still have the virus but it can not be deleted in these folders.

Problem is..the system restore also has a copy of all those virus and trojans that have infected your system. They are in a compressed mode...your ANTIVIRUS knows they are there but can not help you get rid of them, so you must do it manually.

GO TO THE FIRST LINK AND FOLLOW THE SCREEN SHOTS TO GET RID OF THIS IN THE "SYSTEM VOLUME" INFO FOLDER THE SECOND LINK WILL DO IT FOR WIN ME IN THE "_RESTORE FOLDER".

NAME: Disabling System Restore on Windows XP
    ALIAS: Disabling Windows XP AutoRestore feature

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/sfc_dis1.shtml

Then if a Panda scan still comes up with those indications...go to one of the forum that do hijackthis logs and let them check it out..

you just might i only need to clean out the registry with something like regseeker if you have none if the above actully active on your PC at this moment.

3. new girl

new girl Registered Member

Primrose:

Thank you so very much for your help. I did everything you suggested and got rid of two of them. Then I read something about doing a search on your drives to find all the files, etc. and I noticed they came up in zipped folders and were in the Spybot S&D files. So I think maybe it is okay to leave them there?

I also have another question. In searching for an answer to my problem I found another program called SpySubtract and d/l a free trial version. Their scan showed a lot of things and I allowed it to delete them. Is this a good program to use in addition to the other ones I have? And why did it find so much that AdAware, Spybot S&D didn't?

Thank you again for helping out a computer novice. I appreciate it.

4. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

@new girl
    Primrose is one cool character!!
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.