Panda Platinum Or NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I would prefer NOD.

I must have never seen any of those "2000 nasties" that NOD doesn't detect in your tests on my machines?

However NOD has stopped nasties on my computers prior to Panda.
    Example: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42010

I use NOD and BOClean which I think is a good combination.

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Stan999 from Firefighter!

I have ever seen in my tests that NOD had missed some 2000 nasties. I have just now 2040 nastie collecton where Panda Platinum beated NOD 2.000.11 beta clearly. As a matter of fact Panda Platinum was very close to MKS_VIR 2004, which is also a very good av in my mind but NOD has also very good heuristics, but in my mind MKS_VIR 2004 heuristics covers more different nasties.

NOD is still a good av but in MY MIND Panda Platinum 7.07.01 is still better! Not just an opinion but according to my own tests of samples picked from 15 to 25 different VX sites and cracks of programs that I ever use, but there are usually very new trojans in it. I wonder why av producers don't collect those trojans in first place from there?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  3. Stan999

Well, just for me your test doesn't seem relative. In other words, I am not seeing any of those nasties on my machines in your tests that NOD isn't detecting? We also run several online scanners about once a week. Plus a free F-Secure my ISP provides from time to time. So far they show NOD is doing a good job for my use.

Had I been using Panda at the time that Bagle infection came in Panda would not have detected it.

So for me NOD is detecting some of the very latest infections prior to Panda.

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Stan999 from Firefighter!

Luck to you! It's always your decision that matters! My tests are only because I don't trust any "official" test makers because I have so different test results with my own!

If you want some advice. Use unsafe surfing habits, collect every common cracks you think that are in TOP 50, use NOD as your primary AV without AT:s, scan your PC after that with KAV engined AV, you will surprised! After all it is not so dangerous.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  5. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, but this is the Beta (11) of Nod and I'm talking about version 9.0 of Nod32 2.0.

Perhaps you could make a screendump from detecting this eicar file with the latest final Nod version?

:oops: Putin

6. Stan999

Hey Firefighter,

I don't give much weight to any of the tests, official or
    unofficial.:) The only thing I focus on is the day to day
    actual results of an AV on my end over a period of time.

Take care,

7. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Has anyone here tried this new Panda TruPrevent? Do you think it something that is worth purchasing?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Shaker, atleast i haven't tried it. its still brand new and you can try the trial version if you like. if you do then please provide us with your valuable feedback.

9. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi AMRX..........I've been trying to get a copy of TruPrevent trial version from Panda. It seems the Panda site is having some problems. First of all the site is very slow. When I try to get the trial version, I keep getting the "this page cannot be displayed" message. I even tried to renew my subscription, just a test to see what would happen, it doesn't even show I have any Panda software. Very strange. I guess I will try later today or tonight.

10. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Well I tried to install the trial version of Panda's TruPrevent, but it wouldn't let me. I got a message during the install that "a previous installation of a Panda software antivirus has been detected". "It is a privious version of the antivirus". "Installation will be aborted at this point".

Very strange. o_O I thought TruPrevent was an enhancement to your existing antivirus. Is the one year free version of Platinum 7 some old piece of junk that Panda doesn't even care about anymore? I am starting to dislike Panda as a antivirus providing company, as I have had a few other little problems with them. :mad:

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Shaker, thats what i told you about a brand new program, it can have glitches. check the latest version of Platinum with your username and password. perhaps a new version is already available. if Panda wants its customers to stay than i seriously think they should provide mirrors for updating and other stuffs. but also there is a probable chance of other malfunction. when we put a request on the Net it goes to the server and comes back. so in the meantime if something goes wrong in the path we'll have connection trouble with the server even if it is working fine. just like a jam keeping you from reaching the airport doesn't mean its the airport's fault.

12. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi AMRX.......After trying many times, using my username and password, and not getting anywhere, I decided to give Panda tech support a call. According to the tech guy, TruPrevent is not available for Panda Platinum 7 at this time. He didn't know when, but thought it would be available some time in the future. I'm thinking maybe never. I've always had this feeling that Panda was phasing out Platinum and just going with their Internet Security and Titanium products. I guess I shouldn't be too upset. After all, I did get Panda Platitum on their one year free offer. :)

13. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Shaker, you are probably right. Platinum has been around for a while and like every product it will eventually be replaced by Panda IS. probably thats why those Panda guys are offering it for free. its not new to see AV guys old softwares for free but in this case Platinum is still updated thats the good news.

14. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi AMRX...........After talking on the phone with the Panda tech guy, I sent an e-mail to their tech support asking specifically about Platinum and TruPrevent. I got my answer today. Platinum will not be available with TruPrevent. I would have to purchase their Internet Security or Titanium. So my feelings about Platinum maybe being discontinued some day were correct. No problem. With the way I change from one AV to another, I could be using a different AV by tomorrow. :D

15. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I also am less than enthused with Panda, I posted back in post#14 in this thread that I thought Panda and NOD were 2 of the best AV's on the market shortly after that I had a supposed Trojan on my system detected by Panda but not NOD, at the time I was using NOD as on access and Panda Platinum as a back up on demand scanner. Panda detected a trojan that NOD didn't so I was initially pissed at NOD because of it's rep for missing trojans. Well to make a long story short I have removed Panda and am strictly running NOD as a result of this incident. The details are in this thread starting with post 49 https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43614&page=2&pp=25
    Basically Panda did what it was supposed do. Their detection was to detect ANY modification to the hosts file as a trojan infection. So I can't call it a False Positive because Platinnum did what it was programmed to do, it detected my altering of the hosts file. I sent support requests to both Panda and Eset about this detection. Panda never responded to the email they simply removed the detection from their definitions and the following day Panda no longer detected it. The guys from Eset however spent a day and half trying to determine why Panda detected it and what was so malicious as to warrant saying a trojan was in my system. They then sent me a lengthy email explaining Panda's detection and what it was hitting on. I was very impressed that they would spend the time to both research and explain to me how a product from a competitor was giving a questionable detection.
    That was what it was determined to be a Questionable detection, I had altered my hosts file to point numerous ad sites to the local host (127.0.0.1) as alot of people do to try and limit tracking cookies from being installed and Panda was detecting this as a trojan. This represents lazy programming to me and I have since removed Panda from both systems and rely solely on NOD.

16. Gizmo151

Gizmo151 Guest

Well as far as panda or nod go Having tryied both and just about every other av out there. I consider the use of panda or your best choice over all the others.
    I use panda now because free is really hard to beat.
    Other than this fact I see little in the way of a diffence that is of much importantance to me at all
    I say just pick the one you think is best I believe with either you're well protected..
    I would say tho` Panda's firewall is of little use as I don't like it at all..

17. h0nolulu

h0nolulu Guest

A response to Shakers inquiry about Panda Tru Prevent. A friend of mine now using the free version of Panda Platinum inquired into buying Tru Prevent and tech support advised him that a version of it is built into the Platinum program already. Theres something in the setup options you can click and it activates a function that watches for potential trojans/viruses before detection. Just passing on info Im a DrWEB user.

18. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Wow, three different answers to the same question. The tech I talked to on the phone said TruPrevent probably will be available for Platinun 7 sometime in the future. The tech that repsonded to my e-mail question about Platinum 7 and TruPrevent, said that TruPrevent won't be available for Platinum 7. I have to purchase Platinum IS or Titanium. Now a tech tells h0nolulu TruPrevent is built into Platinum 7. I think he must mean Platinum IS, not Platinum 7. I'm beginning to wonder if any of the Panda techs know what's going on. ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.