panda platinum firewall (and AV)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tahoma, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

hey

just wondered what the views on panda titanum http://www.pandasecurity.com/platinum/default.htm
    are.

im currently running kav45 and optpost 2 pro on my home comp, but through my employer i now have the opportunity to run this panda package. is the firewall any good ? and the antivirus ?

i dont expect it to be as good as my kav/op2 combo, but my kav subscription is expiring soon so id appreaciate some reviews

2. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Tomaha,

I had a registerd version of it and did not like it all. It seemed to lock the system up for no reason. It is a permit deny firewall and AV all in one that didnt seem to strong.

It took me 2 weeks to get a responce from tech support on what might be causing the lock ups and I got a responce that basicly said "it's not our software it must be your system" Still to this day I have no idea what was causing it but when I uninstalled it and chucked it out the window ...registration and all the problems stopped.

I have learned that to have software that does one specific job or task is much more dependable then a multi task software such as pandas AV/Firewall combo so with that said..

MY AV (NOD32v2) is for just that AV protection and my firewall (Kerio 2.1.5) is for control of in bound and out bound communications control only ect ect. Things run much more smoothly that way with less conflicts.
    This is just my opinion though and hopefully someone
    else will chime in..

Regards,
    FireDancer ;)

3. PandaMan

PandaMan Guest

Im running panda with no problemsI do use there firewall for filtering outbound--Im behind a hardware firewall that keeps my front doors shut.

There firewall seems to respond quickly to anythind calling out.I may change to another 1 of my firewalls later but for now i dont see any reason too.

But as for panda --i like alot--no problems at all --I have kaspersky pro and look-n-stop on my other computer --inow panda may not have the unpacking ability of kaspersky--i just like it better--i always run an antitrojan too.
    Regards

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi PandaMan

Is there anything more you can tell us about the firewall?
    Is it strictly application based, allow/deny?
    Is there any ability for rules?

Just curious as to what it is capable of ;)

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

If you are searching for a freebie ... there is Sygate Firewall as well as ZoneAlarm. I am using the pay version of ZoneAlarm Pro. ZAP has the following features:
    - Intrustion Detection & Blocking,
    - Email virus Protection
    - Password Protection,
    - Selective Zone Security
    - Unauthorized shut-down protection
    - Stealth Mode Hacker protection
    - Automatic Network Detection
    - Automatic Wireless Network Detection,
    - Custom Security levels.
    - Cookie control,
    - Pop-up Ad Blocking,
    - Performance based Ad Blocking,
    - Privacy Advisor,
    - Third-Party Spying protection.
    and much more.

Not familiar with Panda other than their anti-virus online scan which I do from time to time as a 2nd opinion when needed.

I understand Sygate is supposed to be very good but did not opt for it as it kinda looked complicated to me - I like things nice & simple but then maybe it is easy to useo_O.

6. I'd stay with KAV and Outpost... Panda is okay, but KAV is the KING! ( A quote from Randy Bell)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.