Panda deleted 10 much needed files, offering no support

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cvette, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Hi there, recently I downloaded Panda AV 2010 to give it a spin. I was shocked after I ran a scan, and it deleted 10+ files that I knew for a fact, were false positives. I cannot seem to find a way to restore them, I have contacted Panda about this and they have directed me to their pay-for-support phone line.

This to me is just... blah!... not acceptable at all for any software vendor. Feel like my files are being held hostage right now. Can anyone offer me any advice/help/aid?

All the best,
    Alan.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

they were not placed in quarantine? was there an option to delete and place malware in quarantine? but if deleted and no backup then not much it can be done

3. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Hi there,

No unfortunately they were not placed in the quarantine. I wasn't even given any options as to what I wanted to do with the files :(

4. progress

progress Guest

That's the Panda speciality ... :'(

5. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Paying $1.99 (I think it was) a minute to learn how I can restore these files, I just can't do. This feels more like ransomware than an antivirus :(

6. progress

progress Guest

With Panda Cloud AV you get the same behaviour for free :rolleyes:

7. guest

guest Guest

yes and i hate it

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

What were the files that were detected as a FP? I have never used the PRO version but I will see if I can find an online guide to get these files back :D

9. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Please post details about the files. How do you know they were not infected?
    It would also be useful to post the detection report.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

GetDataBack should be able to recover them. :)

11. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I've been studying the battle of viruses, anti-viruses for about 7 years now. Know computers pretty well. I'm certain, that these are false positives. But besides that point, these are all files I have obtained from relatives, or known safe sources.

-Raylen001bday.exe
    -Raylen002bday.exe
    -Raylen003bday.exe
    -FormatFactory.exe (FP due to ebay banner)
    -Xlive.dll (Grand theft auto)
    -Texhelper.exe (From BumpTop)
    -Fallout3Launcher.exe
    ASEVP.sfx (my homemade self extracting anti-virus package...thing...)
    TestDriveUnlimited.exe
    OBSE.exe (Oblivion script extender)

^All have the Deleted action taken.

-

:D Ibrad, that's too kind of you to look for a guide of sorts. I don't think I'm using the pro version either, just the trial. But I believe they are both the same.

EliteKiller, Thanks! I'll give that a go.

Y'all are making more of an effort to help me than Panda is :doubt:

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Ok I have been looking for a guide and saw a guide for the 2007 so I did not know how much has changed .

Also I Panda is not the only one blocking the one file due to the Ebay thing. If I remember correctly I think Malwarebytes and a few other company's detect this.

Here is a guide on where to submit FP's: http://www.cloudantivirus.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=51106&tstart=0

Also in case you did not know Pbust who posted few posts above me works for Panda Security. Also Panda Security has an online forum so you don't have to pay for tech support:

Also another nice tool is Panda Autovin: http://autovin.pandasecurity.my/?page_id=332

This will allow you to see the analysis of the file. I also think the results will be changed if it's an FP via autovin but I do not know for sure :doubt:

13. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Thanks! I actually posted yesterday on the Panda forums, haven't seen anyone on there at all though. Appreciate your help and time!

14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Perhaps if you uninstall now Panda and use System Restore to get back a day before Panda got installed , this could restore your files . Give it a try , it won't hurt or mess anything.

15. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

If you want to try and recover files ....

Do NOT use your comp right now if you want to recover your files. Deleted files will get written over at some point, maybe sooner could be later, no telling when as it's under the OS's control. The more you use it the less chance you have of recovery.

GetDataBack is a good suggestion, but not free. Depends what you want ? Here's a few free.

EASEUS Deleted File Recovery
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/easeus-deleted-file-recovery/easusdfr.html

PC Inspector File Recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

If you can remove the drive and connect it, put it another comp, and use the software on that comp to recover from yours, that would prevent writes to your drive. Then save and copy back to yours. If you can't then, using the software directly on yours may be better than nothing. I've had success in the past with both methods, but removing etc is ALWAYS the better option.

System Restore might not get everything back !

Hope you succeed :thumb:

Panda :thumbd: needs to change their config and start to quarantine ASAP

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That may not be a good idea.
    If you decide to try that anyway it's probably a good idea to use an uninstaller to remove it. Maybe Panda's uninstaller and Revo uninstaller ?

I know how difficult it can be to remove Panda software.

17. progress

progress Guest

Revo removed the Panda on my laptop :rolleyes:

18. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Good news :D

After uninstalling Panda lastnight, and then running "Recuva" by Piriform (same folks that make CCleaner) I was able to get my deleted files back, at great, or okay health! :argh:

I owe you guys a case of beer for the help!

If anyone is curious as to how and in what way Panda tried to help, bottom line is they really didn't at all. I emailed them, was told to review their FAQ, emailed them again saying I did and could not find any help, they sent me a phone number, I called and was directed to a pay-for-support line, I emailed them saying I would not pay for support, they again sent me the same phone number. So I posted in their forums, no one ever replied. So you can see why I may never be using a Panda product again :)

+1 for you guys! :D

19. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Glad you got your files back. I remember having had issues with other av's in the past that caused this same issue. We never know how the AV will work on a machine till we try it.

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Can you either upload these files for me somewhere or give me their MD5's? With the filenames only there's not much I can do.

Also the report would be helpful.

21. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

how irony that many vendors never reply in their own forums but shows interest when in others popular forums like wilders.

it's almost like as though their forums are only for customers to whinge, err i mean to feedback problems, but not a good place for them to admit faults....

22. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I'll see what I can do for ya later this week, I left for vacation this morning and only have my laptop with me right now.

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

not true at all. Panda Cloud AV's forum is helpful and the Admins/ Dev help with questions and issues.

24. pbust

pbust AV Expert

This is not true. You can restore the files after they are disinfected or deleted by PCAV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.