Panda Cloud Antivirus Beta 1.9

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Beta 1.9.2 released:
    http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2012/06/04/panda-cloud-antivirus-beta-1-9-2/

2. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Grrrr... beat me to it! :mad:

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that is great news and what I have been waiting to hear.:thumb:

4. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

"We promise this new beta won’t be as long as the 1.9.1 beta and very soon we will all be able to enjoy the final Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0 release"

This sounds promising, after all it appears to have taken forever o_O
    Bring it On!

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

For a short time they were waiting for W8 Release Preview to make its launch so that they kill two birds with one bamboo stick.

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think most of the advanced security features like firewall and IDS are pro features ?

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yep...

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

will stick with AVG then..:)

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How about an interim update to 1.5?

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

For a moment there I thought the final version 2 has been released. Sigh! Oh well the waiting lives on. ;)

11. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i hope they will add alittle more to the free version.

12. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

My question is, what will be different in the free version, besides performance gains, better detection rates and better disinfection features?

I like Panda Free, but I wish it had a few more bells and whistles.

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

It's a difficult balance... most people ask us not to add bells and whistles to keep it simple. Even the URL Filter being a separate component is interesting as it can be installed and uninstalled separately and that is useful for many who have a layered approach with other security tools.

That being said we might simply take some existing features from PRO and add them to the Free Edition when 2.0 comes around. But nothing is final yet.

14. MDRockstar

MDRockstar Registered Member

Yeah that is a great idea because the competition in free antivirus market is very strong right now. What about adding behavior analysis in the free version?

15. Tyrizian

I wouldn't mind seeing the firewall component integrated in the free version, but with some firewall features taken away (Which will only exist in Pro versions). And maybe a little bit more customization for the program.

If not, then customers can always implement a free option such as Comodo Firewall or Online Armor to go along with Panda Free. Panda Free with a limited feature firewall (One install solution) seems like a better idea in my opinion. Then people can say hey, I didn't need to install another program, because Panda Free provides me the whole package....How awesome of them, I want more features...Buying the pro version now.

Offering bits and peaces of some of the features, in my opinion...encourages a customer to want to upgrade to Pro.

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Isn't that not enough?!?!? lol I have not tested it yet to check out some of these improvements, but if it is lighter and offers better protection, I would be more than satisfied with the update.

Regarding a firewall, that makes no difference to me. Between Windows FW, and being behind a router, I'm not sure another level of FW protection is really necessary for most people. It would probably do more to block safe programs than add additional protection.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would... I'd much prefer they keep the free edition simple, light, clean and effective. This disease most developers have of adding this feature and that feature usually leads to the eventual ruination of most software... Let's keep it simple...

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Indeed, I'd rather have the behavioral analysis than the firewall in the free version.

19. Tyrizian

Yes, it is enough especially if it's offered for free. I am sorry, I can't be picky...you guys are kind enough to give us protection at no cost. I was just putting an idea in your head just in case :D

20. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Right on. We cannot have everything for free, and remember they have the PAV line to consider. If you really want a Panda firewall, either win a license or buy one to support the company and their expensive products (cloud isn't cheap and is much more expensive than the traditional sig route).

To be honest, if the firewall was handed out like ice cream, I would say "forget PRO" and not bother to touch it unless it has something important missing. I don't think average users care about HIPS or other "really advanced" stuff. :\

21. Tyrizian

You're right, like I said...I just put the thought in your head. I was curious to see what you would say. Keep up the good work, Panda is indeed a nice product.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

So in this beta version, does the toolbar still have to be installed for the filter?

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes that hasn't changed. As always you can uninstall the toolbar and keep only the URL filter if you so wish.

24. Esse

Esse Registered Member

+1

/E

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

In the tests I have seen, and done myself, I have never seen the behavior analysis come into play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.