Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.9 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by virtumonde, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Of course that doesn't work with the url filter disabled; my question is whether web traffic actually goes through the antivirus engine itself like it does with other antivirus programs to check for exploit code/script malware etc in real time. The URL filter just checks the address against a blacklist of known malicious sites.

2. blasev2nd

blasev2nd Registered Member

you have answered your own question :)

-http://www.cloudantivirus.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=145620&#145620

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. Volare

Volare Registered Member

Fair enough question. I've never used Panda Cloud AV Free, but have been keeping an eye-out for possible alternatives to try in the future. If I was to test Panda Cloud AV Free, I would prefer not to install their Toolbar. But does this mean Panda Cloud AV Free will not filter web pages?

One of the features, according to this site is "URL & Web Filtering". I would assume this would mean if you did not install the Toolbar, then you do not get URL filtering. But does it also mean, if you do not install the Toolbar, that you do not get web filtering as well?

I don't think the Toolbar is designed as such to filter web pages for malicious code, but it probably uses a blacklist of some sort to ensure specific web-pages get blocked. I don't know much about Panda, so I could be wrong. The question is, does Panda Cloud AV Free also provide web protection without needing to install the Toolbar?

Perhaps someone from Panda can only confirm this? Has anyone had any contact with them before?

4. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

For web filtering you could use Peerblock or MVP (or similar) host file no?

5. Volare

Volare Registered Member

Thanks drhu22. Have never used Peerblock or MVP. Sounds like MVP provides filtering at the hosts file level and Peerblock is an IP blocker with many blacklists to chose from - interesting set of "blocklists" available and probably worth looking into at some stage.

Panda refers to their web protection as web filtering and URL filtering, which can be confusing, because for many it could mean the same thing.

I just wonder with Panda's definition of "web filtering", whether they actually mean web protection such as that provided by many paid AV's where they use a process/driver - this was stated by "FleischmannTV" as below:
    As asked by "Drew99GT", can this actually be confirmed by anyone else?

6. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Thank you volare; that is exactly what I'd like to either confirm or deny.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So v2.9 still doesn't do HTTP scanning through the engine itself, you still have to use the silly URL addon?

8. blasev2nd

unfortunately , yes

9. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Panda has so much potential, but I do think the lack of built-in URL protection is a lack luster for the product.

If it was integrated into the AV itself, Panda would be that much more better.

10. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

yes, integrating that filter in the av itself would be the elegant solution, but if the end result is the same, it makes no difference. it's just a toolbar which you can disable, or even uninstall. i highly doubt that panda (or any other) would choose a solution which makes their product worse.

11. blasev2nd

yes they should integrate the url + web filter in the engine.
    if they want , it can be feature for "Pro/Paid" product
    it will surely makes it more attractive for user to pay :D

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They already have the URL monitor within the app which doesn't really have any function other than to allow user see what apps access what URL's. And then you need some extra 3rd party stuff to do the blocking of bad URL's. Why nro use the URL Monitor in the first place?!

13. guest

guest Guest

They said that not all the final features would be in the first betas, and they will add them during the testing process.
    For example the data shield wasn't in the first beta but they will add it at some point during the testing, for the url filter could be the same

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

15. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I think everybody knows it because of several pop ups every day. :eek: Uninstalled ...

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Lol, I don't have it installed at the moment.
    A pity btw, I thought the Free version was becoming a nice alternative for Avast users agitated by pop-ups/ads.

17. dansorin

exactly. uninstalled also...

18. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

19. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Also, the pop-up ads people have been complaining about were discontinued several days ago. http://www.cloudantivirus.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=68115&start=30&tstart=0

Not sure how significant this is because the article lacks meaningful details, but the just-published issue of the June 2014 Consumer Reports (a non-profit consumer products magazine in the U.S. that does not accept advertising) evaluated and rated anti-malware products. Avast got the highest marks for free AV. Eset got the highest for paid AV. The paid version of Panda came in dead last. The free version of Panda was not tested.

20. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

they have also removed the website category filter...

21. dansorin

and the data protection shield...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.