Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.5 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Anybody using MagicJack on a system with this installed?

2. carat

carat Guest

+1 :)

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am running the Pro version.

4. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

Trjam have you tested the panda 2012 product line ?

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Only the AV, and was totally impressed. They have done an outstanding job on their 2012 products.

6. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

Yeah it feels like PCAV itself.

7. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Very soon. All users of 1.4 (both Free and Pro) will get the upgrade completely automatic and transparent. The only exception will be Home/Starter OS Editions which will get a prompt to apply the upgrade (because of limitations of that OS edition). If you have 1.5 RC installed, you will need to uninstall it, reboot and install the 1.5 final release version which will be available at www.cloudantivirus.com.

We will deploy the upgrade progressively to keep potential issues under control in the Cloud Antivirus tech support forum (www.cloudantivirus.com/forum).

Also we will release a new website which will include a PRO trial version based on feedback from Wilders users -- I know, it took us a while, but we do listen ;)

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you Pedro, that is great to hear. Wilders Members do know a little bit.;)

Ahh, can you let us know when it is released so those of us with the RC can reinstall.

Thank you

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Thanks pbust, Cloud Antivirus is coming together really nice in 2011.

10. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Panda cloud has really improved. It just works without all the bells and whistles..
    I would like to see a dancing panda when its scanning the computer.. thoughts? :thumb:

11. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Hi pbust,

On Dutch website Security.nl, there is a summary of tests done by AV-Test.org on Panda Internet Security/PIS 2012 aswell as PCAV 2012.
    I guess, the summary has been c/p'ed-cannibalized from a German PC-Welt article.

While it is mentioned that PCAV is 'heavy in comparison', Panda achieved excellent scores;
    -Malware sample set (gathered over last 3 months); 99,96% detection (average was 98,5%).
    -WildList malware detection; 100% (average was 100%).
    -Infected system with 23 malware samples installed; both the suite as the AV, removed a 100%.
    -False positive score; again 100% (that means no fp's detected)
    -Detection and removal of 'rootkits and stealth malware'; 15/18 - 83,3% score (average is 44,4%).
    -0-day Web & email threats; 35/41 - 85,4% score (average is 80,5%)

Those are impressive scores but quite some information is lacking in that review (imao).
    -Do you know if there is a more extensive review available somewhere with more differentiation between PCAV and full suite scores?
    -I'd like to know more about the size of the malware sample set used.
    -What is the hardware setup of the test-PC; what does the 'heavy in comparison' actually mean?
    CPU load? Memory load? I/O? What CPU load was seen, how much RAM is used; and when; during scanning, downloading updates, uploading to the Cloud?

Again, I like the scores but I'd like to know more...o_O

A Google translate (German->English) of the PC-Welt review can be found here; link

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  12. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

We will test for sure.

Thanks pbust. ;)

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Heavy is a releative term, the review by PC-Welt should have been more clear in. I have used the new AV and Cloud and personally find Cloud lighter, but not by much. Where this term may have some meaning is in scanning, because with Cloud it will take longer as Pedro explains below:

14. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Actually the review is of Panda Internet Security 2012, not of Panda Cloud Antivirus (PCAV).

- AFAIK there's no reviews comparing Cloud Antivirus vs Panda Internet Security yet.
    - Re: test details (sample size, HW setup, etc.) I have no idea. This is something that a magazine commissioned from AV-Test and I haven't seen the result details. It does seem to me that the comments on slowing down by Panda Internet Security 2012 are very subjective based on the magazine's personal views (security.nl has not been very pro-Panda historically for whatever reason). If you look at the latest objective data from AV-Test (http://www.av-test.org/reports/2011q1/avtest_report_panda_110955.pdf) of Panda Internet Security 2011 (not 2012, which actually has improved over 2011!) the slowdown rate is 159 with an industry average of 171 (ie, faster than the average).

15. pbust

pbust AV Expert

If we look at the latest AV-Test results (as published by chip mag) which are probably the closest to the test commented by security.nl, we can compare the metrics on performance. I guess when they say "heavy in comparison" they don't really mean "heavy" but slow on scanning, as the rest of the performance metrics, which have to do more with "heavyness" issues than scan speed, PandaIS is above average and in many cases above products ranked higher:
    Security-Suites-comparison.jpg.jpg

As trjam recalled, the slow scanning speed, which has nothing to do with "heavyness issues", is due to:

16. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

kinda off topic but does versin 1.3 upgrade to other versions? i have a use that has it and it hasnt updated.

17. pbust

pbust AV Expert

It should have upgraded automatically to 1.4. But we do have a small percentage of the userbase "stuck" on 1.3. Probably some bug during the upgrade process.

Would you allow us to connect to your machine remotely to try to troubleshoot this? It would really help us in identifying the problem and getting those users stuck in 1.3 to fix the automatic upgrade.

18. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

well its not on my computer but i will talk to the user and get back to you

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You're right.
    It's the Security.nl 'review' which made me believe it was.
    "Both Internet Security 2012 and Anti-Virus 2012 were presented to seven different tests on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1 32 - and 64-bit subject." (Google translate link)
    Thanks for clearing this up, pbust.

FYI, according to a Security.nl admin reply in post 2, AV-Test.org has sent them this information directly (thereby implying it wasn't commisioned by any magazine/website...)
    Also, one of the posts asks why the thread/topic title isn't "Panda detects malware above average" and several other posters are also asking why the so-called 'heavy in comparison' terminology is used and what is meant by it.

And sincere apologies for the confusion, didn't mean to bad-mouth Panda or anything...:(

20. pbust

pbust AV Expert

No problem at all Beserk, I didn't mean to imply you were bad-mouthing the product.

I know pretty well how these things are passed on from AV-Test to the magazines, and titles or comments (like in this case "heavy on performance") are things that the magazine editors make up by themselves, as AV-Test simply sends them an Excel with the raw data, and interpretation is left to the journalists which most times don't even understand security or anti-malware technologies. Then article titles or comments are made more favorable or damaging based on the journalists' own personal opinion and bias, not based on hard, objective data. Its not the first time that Security.nl and PCWorld takes a bad product and makes it look real good and and makes a good product look bad, and unfortunately, it probably won't be the last.

21. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I used to switch from avast, avira, and such every so often but with panda cloud free I don't do that anymore. Its been my main antivirus and I don't plan to switch anymore, I do hope 1.5 has more features for the free version. Keep up the good work

22. carat

carat Guest

:D Me too :thumb:

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Have you encountered any problems or incompatibilities when running both?

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I've found out how to restrict access to other users. I've removed the users rule, added the other user with Read only permissions, my account with Read & Execute Permissions, and kept administrators and system the same.

Now they can't access it (command prompt, etc.) without admin rights or my account, which will require knowledge of my password.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.