Panda Antivirus Pro 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Now I am the last person who would ever thought of using a Panda product but, every time I installed any version of any of their products it was a nightmare.

But 2009 has shocked me like Norton 2009 shocked old Norton users. Setup was a breeze and my PC is as fast as with Avira. Actually found some of those nasty cookies on the start up scan that Avira doesnt. I realize they are harmless but it showed me they are serious about creating products that people will actually want to buy. The firewall was a breeze. For right now, Panda gets an official :thumb: for their 2009 lineup. Off to buy. ;)

2. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Hopefully you're not going to use any kind of VPN, then you're in for some serious troubles, with the firewall ;)

Cheers

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

all I know is, I am using it, I like it, and I bought it. It is like night and day over previous versions. And yes, every suite or av has issues, but this is really nice from Panda.

4. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Interesting. Never liked Panda's products, but haven't tried the latest version. Will for sure give it a shot now.

5. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I was using a 3 month trial a while ago of their sercurity suite 2009, that came free with a magazine. I thought it was ok, but nothing about the software impressed me greatly. I also dislike the lack of testing, so it's hard to say how effective Panda really is.

6. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I agree...it is hard to know what you are buying without some testing. On the other hand it looks like trjam is using DefenseWall so pretty much everything nasty is already contained.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, it grew heavier quicker then my wife.:doubt: So I dumped it. Actually I am using my other favorite fat heavy weight. F-Secure. I have honestly found that F-Secure and Defensewall are the 2 hardest for me to run from. Dont use them together but in different snapshots and also Avira. My fav 3.;)

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I hope your wife doesn't visit this forum! :eek:

DW can get a little heavy over time but nothing that a reboot doesn't fix, in my experience.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

name me a product that doesnt get faster with a reboot. I mean that is the reality. I have 2 computers up 24/7 and it doesnt take long for slowville to appear. Panda appeared fairly quick. They have improved it and my bet would be 2010 will be the kicker. I just luv F-Secure. It gives me my HIPS and if loaded correctly is as fast as the rest. Geswall:thumbd: I would take Defensewall in a second over it.

10. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Err....Maybe, PlaceboAV :)

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just out of interest, what's their Activescan product like?
    http://www.nanoscan.com/

Tried the free scan on the work computer (no registration needed), seemed very thorough, didn't slow the system down, and the results screen showed a number of 'vulnerabilities', such as software drivers, and links to patches from the microsoft site. All which were relevant and needed upgrading.

The results come up with their 'encyclopedia' page, which displays some good information. Some detailed info there.

Obviously similar to prevx CSI. Anyone else tried/used it?

activescan.jpg
    activescan 2.jpg
    ac 3.jpg
    ac 4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  12. Saraceno

No thoughts? No one cares? :p

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Agreed. Always liked the GUI though.

14. vijayind

Actually I think no one else has used the service. And (like me) no one has decided to be adventures today.

15. Saraceno

If you don't register, it's just a detect only scan. If you register a username, it cleans.

What I found useful on the work computer, where .exe programs like CureIt will not even execute, and programs like MBAM, SAS and others won't update, nor will online scans like BitDefender (new qscan) or F-Secure online scan will work/update through the work firewall, this one....actually works.

Just for interest.

16. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

adventurous?

17. vijayind

You're right. My bad typo, sorry.

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Just helping out, my english also needs improvement :oops:

19. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Even in safe-mode?

20. Saraceno

Haven't tried safe-mode (CureIt, MBAM etc), but I'll give it a shot on Monday and let you know.

If, and I stress 'if', this 'activescan' program is good, it's actually a fairly inexpensive program for those that don't want a resident scanner, but want something 'on-demand'.

Around US$12 for the year (double AU prices - due to exchange rate).

As this works through a browser that supports ActiveX, and you have to log in to use the service, wonder if this works on 'multiple' systems, say laptop, work computer etc?

panda.jpg

21. Saraceno

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.