Paltalk is privacy risk

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by bollity, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bollity

bollity Registered Member

Today I installed DefenseWall HIPS and when I opened paltalk a warning appear that paltalk is trying to access registry keys related to yahoo messenger.
    Why this crap tries to read these values which contain my yahoo id and maybe my stored passwords too.

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

That is weird. Do you use Sandboxie?

3. bollity

Does Sandboxie prevent it from accessing my private registy keys??

4. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

As far as I know, Sandboxie does not try to prevent software running in a sandbox from reading anything on your system. It's aim is to prevent the sandboxed application from writing to [or otherwise modifying] the system.

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I thought that it prevented a keylogger or other malware from accessing anything outside of the Sandbox.

6. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

It prevents them from being installed within the host operating system but, as far as I know, they can still run within the sandbox if you manage to get infected. Once you close your sandbox, however, they should be gone.

It should be noted that Sandboxie can actually be configured to deny write and read access to file and registry paths you specify. This is not done by default, however.

7. bollity

There is another strange thing about paltalk, it gives an error and don't work if you run it safer with online armor. it doesn't work with limited user rights.
    It also download things in C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files , it keeps downloading as long as it is open.
    To see this behavior prevent it from making executables from online armor then see the history you will see too many blocked things from paltalk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.