Paid VPN thats fast

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by rendez2k, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I'm after a paid VPN that has no restrictions on download amount or speed. This is mainly because of issues with my UK ISP now subscribing to the IWF Internet Watch Foundation which is in turn breaking sites which reply on IPs (such as one-click download sites). So, I've looked at these but no idea which is best:

SwissVPN
    Xerobank (seems expensive?)
    Ipredator
    Ivacy.com

Any suggestions? As I say, download speed is probably most important!

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

I've used XeroBank for over two years. I typically get 1.5-3.5 Mb/s down and 1.0-2.0 Mb/s up on a physical ADSL connection that's rated at 5.0 Mb/s down and 0.6 Mb/s up. Service has been very dependable, except for a few (mostly announced) interruptions during the past few months for network upgrades. Customer service, OTOH, has generally been nonexistent, especially during the past few months.

I've used Mullvad some lately. It's been fast, and service requests have been answered promptly.

I wouldn't touch the rest. Others may disagree.

3. rendez2k

Well, I think I've talked myself out of XeroBank and you've just confirmed it. No customer service support and expensive.

Currently now looking at StrongVPN.com and BolehVPN and I'll check out mullvad as you mentioned.

4. box750

box750 Registered Member

I have been using Hidemyass VPN (http://hidemyass.com/vpn/) lately and I am very happy with their server speed, they have servers close to the UK like Germany and the Netherlands, the closer it is to you the better it will be for perfomance. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee,if you are not happy with the speed you can always ask for your money back.

I just don't like the way they shove down your throat their bloated HMA VPN client, I like simple things, I like OpenVPN software as it is and not some modified version full of fancy Google maps, server groups, server speed tests,etc.

PS: That special 60% discount advertised on their site as "offer expires soon", it has been there for a year, do not rush. Maybe soon means ten years for HMA, who knows.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

What questions have you asked of Xerobank that they haven't answered?

6. hierophant

I'm glad that you poked this topic again. Even without customer support, I still recommend XeroBank. I've used it for over two years, and I've never needed support. And although the user forum has been pretty dead lately, many user questions have been answered there by other users.

Also, I've found no better mix of speed and throughput (75 GB/month). I have no way to test Steve's claims re the superiority of its anonymity and security. However, given how arrogantly he sometimes boasts, I suspect that anyone who compromised it would let the world know.

Thanks for reading ;)

7. rendez2k

Me, personally none as I never asked any. I've just seen enough people around here and the net that have had issues. The ability not to be able to cancel the account appears to be another. And then theres still the price issue - its very expensive compared to most other VPNs I've looked at. I mean look at the suggested http://hidemyass.com/vpn/ above - $11 a month? No idea how good the privacy is vs Xerobank but its a VPN service and I've seen a couple of great reviews for them, good support and a fraction of the price.

8. hierophant

It appears that HideMyAss (like StrongVPN) is just a VPN proxy. That is, connections look like this ...

you <--> HideMyAss server <--> website

With XeroBank, there are two servers/routers between you and the website ...

you <--> XeroBank entry node <--> XeroBank exit node <--> website

Seriously, $35/mo is not that much to pay for strong anonymity! For example ...

XeroBank ... 75 GB/mo ... $35/mo
    Rayservers ... 25 GB/mo ... $25/mo
    Cryptohippie ... 15 GB/mo ... $275/yr ($22.91/mo)

YMMV

9. caspian

caspian Registered Member

In addition, where are StrongVPN and HidemyAss incorporated? Please don't get me wrong. I am not knocking them. But I am beginning to think that not only are almost all of these VPN services subject to logging if this is requested of them, without probable cause or any oversight whatsoever, but I believe that they are now more than likely being logged by default by a third party. Whether or not anyone looks at any of it or not is irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Because I think that it will all be stored, cross referenced by IP, email, web searches, message boards, and physical location, and can be accessed in the future for any reason without cause and without oversight. I think it's hideous!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  10. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

never try xB before and will never try...

with regards to speed, u may want to enquire if these vpns are torrent friendly.... some don't.

11. hierophant

XeroBank definitely is (but not torrent creation).

Cryptohippie and Rayservers are not, OTOH

12. box750

box750 Registered Member

Regarding HideMyAss, they state in their terms and conditions that they keep logs for 30 days. All VPNs keep logs, there is no way they can stay in business without them.

Some VPNs (they claim) keep logs for a week, like Cotse.net but more tipically it is one month, another VPN I have used in the past, Relakks.com also told me via email thay they keep logs for a month, it still beats your UK ISP two years log storage.

If I am not wrong under EU law ISPs need to keep logs for a year, minimum, some may choose to keep them for longer. But a VPN is not an ISP, they do not have to comply with this law.

As far as I know torrents are allowed in HideMyAss and there is no data transfer limit. The only thing they block is SMTP due to spammers.

13. caspian

caspian Registered Member

14. ccoates

ccoates Registered Member

While I understand that a VPN service has to abide by their local laws for pragmatic reasons (running a business and staying in business), it would be nice to know about a service that has a proven track record for protecting its customers' data and not yielding to the first whiff or accusation of I.P. infringement, which companies sometimes abuse. For example, mash-ups and Downfall parodies can both fall under fair use. But mash-ups and Downfall parodies are often wrongly accused of being infringements without any basis, leading to disconnection of service or deletion of content. So hearing about firsthand experience from folks who have had their VPN service stand by them would be nice.

I look at it like renting an apartment. If the cops show up and the landlord just says, "I'm watching television. Here are the keys. Do whatever you want." that's a lot different from their handing him a picture of you holding a severed human head and a search warrant (the latter being more important. There have to be dozens of legal reasons you'd have a severed head, right?)

Can anyone recommend a service with some firsthand knowledge on their privacy policy, adherence to that policy, or their reputation for keeping logs?

15. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

EXCEPT, he's in the USA where, as you know, we have the PATRIOT Act which allows for logging AND a gag order on the action, violating that makes one subject to a felony just for telling others they were served with the letter. So, you wouldn't know anyway. The PATRIOT Act is misused by LEA everyday, Poosey. As for the Usenet, anybody with any sense has learned to stay away from that flamefest. It's one anonymous accusation after another, back and forth, and senseless name-calling. What one says or doesn't say on Usenet about Cotse doesn't mean squat. Just my opinion.

16. eric2802000

eric2802000 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252916&highlight=xeobank

After reading this thread I think Im going to choose Xerobank even though they are expensive. If you need anonymity and dont want to sacrifice it then I think Xerobank is the way to go. I sent them an email two days ago though to ask if they work with IRC and havent heard anything back yet :(

17. hierophant

:rolleyes:

I don't do IRC, so o_O Anyone?

18. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

Yes it does. See my response in the other thread.

19. LockBox

That's an interesting way to spin Usenet. If you like it -- go for it! I, personally, don't like unmoderated discussion where one person is clearly 5 or 6 sock-puppets and they call each other names like children on a playground.

Another thing about Usenet, many that go there and play in those waters end up coming here and feel superior because the do Usenet, IRC, etc. and so often - use the same tactics that ruined Usenet.

20. LockBox

Just a difference of opinion. No big deal. I think if Usenet works for you - that's great! The difference between the library and Usenet is that my child wouldn't be set loose into a profanity laced tirade of paranoia and accusation/counter-accusation and all done with all guns blazing in a library. Usenet? That's the rule rather than the exception.

21. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

22. herr

herr Registered Member

Xerobank is just standard Open VPN open source technology with their story that they have entry servers and exit servers handling your data. Its BS as far as I can tell. I was never able to test their story and frankly I dont believe it. Also whats the point? If the servers are secure, they cant be hacked. If not then a good hacker can see the architecture and know where to sit on the exit server. If its not tested for security, which most of these VPNs are not, what everyone is writing here is just talk. It wouldnt matter how many servers they have inbetween, multi hops or otherwise if you could penetrate their main server that instructs the exit servers. So the first test is the secure network. And why would you trust Xero bank when so many of their claims are unsubstantiated.

23. hierophant

Fair enough. Please identify a VPN whose claims have been substantiated.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

25. hierophant

Thanks. I've considered them, and don't see a payment option that works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.