paid vpn service recommendation as of october '14?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by imdb, Oct 5, 2014.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Just ask them. They respond to inquiries.

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Very good. I have a Mullvad account. I use it on my VM. And I use PIA primarily on my real computer. I may switch my sub from PIA to iVPN.

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

do you think it's worth the extra 60 bucks? it's 150% increase in price. i'll go for it if i can justify the extra 60 bucks.
    will you wait for black friday deals?

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

well then how come providers like unblock.us, unotelly, tvwhenaway, overplay, etc. don't shut down their business?

5. Maldoran

Maldoran Registered Member

After using Cryptostorm.is for some time I must say that I`m quite pleased with their service.
    Their encryption is very strong.
    Connection to their servers is really stable. Haven`t had a disconnection yet, even when staying connected for weeks.
    That they have no costumer records and use 3rd party resellers is excellent.
    The privacy policy is the best I`ve seen.
    They have a free service for testing.
    They don`t cost that much. It`s from US $7/m.
    Being relatively unknown should mean less blocking issues.

They just need a few more costumers, so I hope the free service will attract more.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

It may not be worth it. Especially if you don't have a lot of truly sensitive issues to protect.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i thought so. i don't think it's worth it either.

8. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

Can I use a VPN with ADSL dial-up internet?

9. mirimir

Yes.

10. mirimir

In reading up on TorGate, I came across a vaguely incoherent article < https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/zero-customer-knowledge-vpns/ > that promotes cryptostorm. So what is "zero customer knowledge"? Well, it's that users are authenticated using tokens:
    https://cryptostorm.is/tokens

That is an interesting design, I admit. But if you're still connecting directly to cryptostorm's VPN servers, its hosting providers can still intercept incoming and outgoing traffic. And given such intercepts, correlating each user's activity across the VPN server would be trivial.

Using cryptostorm as the second (or third etc) VPN in a chain, on the other hand, this would be a useful feature. But even so, I'm not clear on the advantage vs using anonymized Bitcoins. It's an additional layer of obfuscation, I suppose, and tokens presumably don't fluctuate so much in value.

11. Overdone

Overdone Registered Member

I've seen some people say that Mullvad is better than AirVPN. Why is that? AirVPN is cheaper, has more servers in more countries and has a forum. The speeds are about the same and Mullvad doesn't offer discount coupons, ever.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

most probably because air had a way too archaic client software and didn't have a killswitch & dnsleak protection until recently. also mullvad is highly praised for allowing cash in an envelope as a means for payment.

also note that mullvad is located in sweden where vpn service providers are not subject to mandatory data retention law unlike ISPs and landline & mobile phone service providers, whereas air is located in italy where vpn service providers were subject to mdr law until recently it was overturned by the european court of justice.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  13. Overdone

I find the AirVPN client much better than the mullvad client. It has better options and one can more easily change server in the Air's client.

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

that was BEFORE eddie came on the scene.

15. Overdone

Alright, fair enough. I suppose now AirVPN > Mullvad then?

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

that i cannot claim. nor can i claim the reverse.

17. zero_Phil

zero_Phil Registered Member

Thanks, Mirimir. I didn't know if having a dynamic rather than a static IP would bugger things up.

18. bolehvpn

bolehvpn Registered Member

Btw I will be happy to extend 7 day trials for free to wilders users :D Just e-mail me directly after registering yourself at https://portal.bolehvpn.net and let me know your username and I'll hook you up.

19. DavidW77

DavidW77 Registered Member

Wichever VP service you are using, just be careful as sometimes Firefox will be running in the background after you shut down the window and the VPN,
    and thus your real ip will be revealed. Always make sure to shut down firefox in task manager before you shut down the VPN. Just mt two cents.

20. mirimir

Using VPN services in that way is very dangerous!

Wherever you're using a VPN, you want it always up, and all leaks blocked. That includes DNS leaks aka using your ISP's DNS server(s) and/or doing DNS lookup directly rather than through the VPN tunnel.

You don't want to depend on remembering stuff like that.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding clients have you setup AirVPN on android? Some android VPN setups are easier than others. Also, I can't find anything on the Air website about how many simultaneous connections are supported.

22. Overdone

I don't own a smartphone, so no. 3 simultaneous connections are allowed, per account.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for confirming three simultaneous connections :thumb:

24. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Rather than open a new thread. I am looking for a paid VPN service preferably not based in USA, Canada, Australia or the UK.
    I need good speed and the real difficulty bit is that I need a Static IP for certain services. Also want a company that values privacy.

Strong VPN seems good but their privacy policy scares the hell out of me.
    VPNArea appears good and seems solid on privacy.

Any recommendations?

25. mirimir

AirVPN - Italy
    BolehVPN - Malaysia
    Cryptostorm - Iceland
    Insorg - Russia
    iVPN - Malta

If you specify a particular server, you'll get a static IP with any of them. But if you want your own private IP, check out BolehVPN and Insorg.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.