Pages won't fully load.

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by spy1, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Both here at work and at the house (on all browsers) the pages here won't fully load. The bar gets a little more than three-quarters of the way and then hangs. Pete

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Working good here, Pete. Can you watch the status bar and tell which specific objects are involved to see if there is any common factor? Is it all pages, or perhaps just those with items like the different IM service images, and other third-party provided content (ie. that come from non-Wilders webservers).

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I've been seeing this problem for the last 2 days. It only seems to happen when viewing a sub-topic on any board. The main boards (General Topics, Ten Foward, etc.) arent affected. My status bar indicates the following.

1 item remaining Downloading picture http://web

Status bar only shows this much of the url. Thought this might give someone a hint of what is trying to load. The pages eventually load after 45-60 seconds, however there are no incomplete pages that I can see when viewing them before they have completely loaded.

4. LowWaterMark

That would be third-party content...

The ICQ number (online / offline indicator) that shows under a member's information (Pete has one above) on every post comes from: http://web.icq.com/ If that server is slow, you end up waiting for the page to complete and usually timing out on it. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about that item as it doesn't come from our servers. (Personally, I blocked web.icq.com long ago on my system, so I wouldn't have to wait on those, but then I don't use ICQ.)

5. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hey Pete,

Hanging for me on the ICQ item 42210568 in your post. When the page finally finishes loading(if it does), I get the little red x with those numbers in a box beneath your "FIX AMERICA FIRST".

Seems LowWaterMark's explanation is dead on.

Attached Files:

6. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

The first icon.

7. LowWaterMark

I guess I put the block on "web.icq.com" a month or two after I first got here, simply because I noticed (back at that time) that that was often the last element to load on the pages here. I'm sure that since then it has worked fine (and speedy) most of the time for most people, since it hasn't been raised as an issue in a long time. :doubt:

But, I've been blocking it all this time with an entry in my Hosts file:

127.0.0.1 web.icq.com

While this fixes the delayed page loading when that site slows down, it does cause a negative display issue. Notice what I see when blocking Pete's ICQ status this way:

Attached Files:

8. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Using last free version of Adshield(beta) here. Added http://web.icq.com/ to it's block list as I don't use ICQ either. Don't even get the box with the numbers and red x in it, doing it this way. Just have to remember that next time I update the list(using Agnis for Adshield blocking list)!

Sorry about the scroll problem my first post created. Fixed in the meantime, I hope.

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I just removed the information from my profile. It's not worth the hassle. Pete

10. LowWaterMark

Hmm, I just got a delay getting the Yahoo online image in someone's post today. It's the first time (that I can remember) that I saw that one cause a delay. It comes from: opi.yahoo.com If you notice any similar delays getting the last piece of any pages today, you may want to see if it's hanging on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.