Pagefile

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ReverseGear, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Im on windows 7 x64 ultimate
    i have two 500 gb hdd
    and i have 6gb ram [ 3 x 2gb ]
    i wanted to know how much my paging file size be and it should be on my boot drive or the other drive or both ?

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I will choose page file size equivalent to RAM size and will place it on second HDD. Currently I have 500 GB + 320 GB HDDs. 500 GB HDD has three partitions and OS installed on primary partitions. 320 GB act as data storage device with two partitions and page file of size equivalent of RAM size (2 GB) is placed on it.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

leave on automatic setting

4. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

So automatic will have 6gb of pagefile on my main hdd...or should i move that to my other hdd for performance ?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

automatic will have as little or as big page file as needed. is your other hd that faster? If not don't bother

6. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

With the amount of Ram you have, automatic should be fine. I have mine manually set to 3072mb for other reasons.

As for putting the page file on another drive, it is of really no benefit these days. I can't point to the sources I've gotten that from, but that's what I decided made sense quite a few years back now.

And considering with 6gb ram your pagefile would rarely, if ever, be used....even more of reason to just leave it alone.

7. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

@cudni - both the hdds perform the same
    @shane - so il leave it as it is...
    thanx for all the help

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1 :thumb:

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Windows can load balance between pagefiles on different HDDs depending on I/O load at the the time. How much real world performance gain you could get, I don't know.

10. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I agree to leave on it automatic setting. I always move my PF off my boot drive, but with modern, large drives, not sure there's any noticeable improvement.

IMO, the only time you should set the PF manually is if you are running critically low on disk space. And in that situation the correct solution is to free up some disk space, or buy more disk space.

11. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Windows 7 does an excellent job managing the Pagefile on "Automatic" setting.
    Unlike older Windows which required manual tweaking on the pagefile settings to get the best performance. So I would keep the Automatic setting because it will give you the best performance.

Thanks.:D

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

On an HDD, I'll create a 2gb partition at the start of the drive (the fastest point) and use that for the pagefile, then I'll hide the partition.

13. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

If you want to go the automatic route, that's fine. I would create a pagefile on both drives and let windows automatically balance it based on need/drive use.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I have put it on automatic mode for now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.