Pagefile - Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABee

ABee Registered Member

And we haven't even touched on defragmenting the pagefile yet.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Definitely resurrecting some old-school stuff in this thread. Here is a bunch of tweaks from a number of years ago. Don't know whats in them anymore, don't know if they are all correct, though most likely they work. Whether or not they achieve what they claim to or not is another story.

I used to collect these. I have an access database chock full of them. I was going to make a program at one time, sort of a tweak tool, but life side-tracked me. Besides, after I collected them, sorted and labeled them then parsed them into the database, I was getting kinda tired of tweaks.

Anyway, you can get them here
    http://mrwoojoo.com/sg/Bunch_O_Tweaks.zip

Sul.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Just to supplement my post 12, we have :-

"The file is cleared, it is not deleted. It will always be present, at the size you've specified, or the size the system thinks it should be if set to System Managed."
    As defined by a member of the MS support team and correctly explains the reason for Pagefile size not changing.

The literal difference between CLEARED and DELETED is not easy to understand, in fact it is quite complex.

We have a box of a certain size decided by either the Administrator or the auto Windows system and within it a number of items.

If we DELETE the box, it is all gone, box + contents, the lot, if we only CLEAR the box, we simply take out the contents - empty the box, but the box still remains at the same predetermined size.

That is what "zeroed out" means, although the Pagefile can be seen after shutdown and restart at the same KB size - it is empty until regeneration of contents takes place during the browsing session.

The necessity for having a Pagefile has already been explained in detail in various posts and elsewhere on the net together with the personal options and reasons for not having one.

I think the matter of the apparently unchanging Pagefile size has now been explained and the thread finished.

John Bull

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.