pagefile.sys and other questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by peterfoxTI, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterfoxTI

peterfoxTI Registered Member

Is there a way to skip pagefile.sys when creating an image? That seems to be a waste of storage space in 99.999% situations. There might be also other files to skip, but this one is obvious.

I have observed a problem when trying to restore an image. Not all directories are showing up from my source location (remote share).

And the last one. Is there a way to force TI to take the sector-by-sector image of the whole disk? (like formatted NWFS or other exotic formats, or for forensic purposes)?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Actually, right now you cannot skip some files as Acronis True Image does sector-based back-ups not file-based back-ups.

You can simply choose no compression for Acronis True Image to make a sector-by-sector image.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. peterfoxTI

I thought that sector-by-sector imaging has nothing to do with ability to compress read data.
    I have imaged my whole 20GB disk (2 partitions) with "no compression" option and got 2.4GB TID file. Are you saying that all disk sectors were stored in the image?
    When I say sector-by-sector disk image, I mean that I expect all disk sectors, allocated and unallocated to present file systems, to be included in the image. Using "no compression" option, did I got them or not?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Acronis True Image images only data, not the free space. Though if the filesystem appears to be unknown to Acronis True Image it does a real sector-by-sector image including the free space etc. At the moment there is no way to *force* it to do so if the filesystem is recognized and errorless.
    We plan to add such a feature in one of the future builds/versions of the product.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

5. peterfoxTI

Thank you for clarification. That means (at present) True Image cannot be used for forensic or data recovery purposes.
    I hope to see an option to image whole disk on sector-by-sector basis soon.

I would like also to see an option to exclude well known swap files from the image. That would improve overall efficiency (time and space) of True Image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.