Page seen on SpywareBlaster Blocking

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Beezel101, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beezel101

Beezel101 Registered Member

I'm infected with the Home Search Assistant browser hijack.
    Even though I had SpywareBlaster 3.2 active..(Just for background on this question)

I've disabled the hijack portion (mainly by disabling the BHO component via XP Pro SP2's new IE options in the tool sub-menu).

Before I commence removal procedures could you please clear something up??

I thought that when I tried to go to a SpywareBlaster blocked site that
    IE would show the About:Blank page...However I did get a few of those when
    dealing with the HSA hijack. Then I learned while researching the hijack that
    such pages are typical of such spyware.

What should I see when I try to link to a site that is blocked by SpywareBlaster?

How can I create a custom page that I would see in such a case so its clear what happened??

Thanks very much for your help!

Beezel

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster's Restricted Sites protection adds sites to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. In this case, this means you will still be able to access those sites - but the things they can do will be greatly restricted (for example: no Javascripts, no Java, no file downloads, no plug-ins, etc.). Since these are some typical ways into your computer (whether through normal file downloads, or an exploit involving Javascript or Java, if your system isn't patched), this protection helps greatly.

What you will see, in all such cases, is a little icon for "Restricted Sites" in the bottom right-hand corner of your Internet Explorer window.

(Of course, SpywareBlaster also has other powerful protection methods, such as blocking known spyware, adware, etc. ActiveX installs, but none of those methods should completely block access to websites.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. Beezel101

Beezel101 Registered Member

Hi Javacool:

Thanks very much for the answer....Now I know what to look for.

Thanks again and happy new year!
    Beezel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.