Page cannot be found

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LindaLouise, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindaLouise

LindaLouise Registered Member

Hi,

I use a dial up. I very often get a Page Cannot Be Found with the problem described as Unknown Error 1.

Do you know why this might be?

Thank you,

Linda Craig

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It can have a little to do with which isp you are useing. When I was on dial up with my first isp I got a lot of those messages but after I changed to different internet provider I hardly ever got one of those messages. Or sometimes if the site is really busy you are wanting to connect to it will time out before it will connect and will give you a message.

3. LindaLouise

Thank you. So if I understand it is probably more my ISP which is AT&T than spy ware causing my problem.

4. bigc73542

In my experience if it was spy or adware it would be trying to take you to different web pages or giving you a bunch of popup ads on your screen . it sounds like an ip problem.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One possible twist on the ISP angle -- it might depend on time of day too (have you noticed any pattern in that respect?).

I've noticed that nearly every night, there's a brief period (5 or 10 minutes) shortly after midnight Eastern time when my browser can't access pages at all, or at best very slowly, and there's almost no modem activity visible.

My guess was that my ISP "rotated" to a different gateway server about then and that accounted for the problem. The excellent tech people on their helpdesk said they didn't do anything like that themselves, but it was quite possible that DNS servers "out there" somewhere were being rotated.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi LindaLouise,

Dumb question but, have you checked your firewall, just to make sure it isn't blocking a needed application?
    You didn't mention your system, though you can verify your configuration here.

Beyond that, you could troubleshoot with these command line tools.
    It's an informative site that will assist you by process of elimination. :cool:

Just in case it's not your ISP.......

GF

7. LindaLouise

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. The ping site is beyond my understanding as well as the networking site. Perhaps I could follow the networking site & make sense of it as my time permits.

I do not notice any special time of day. I can at one moment not be able to access the internet & try a few minutes later & I can successfully connect.

I use AT&T dial-up. I am presently in Florida. Perhaps with all the weather problems this explains my connection problems. No, I have not been directed to another site so spy ware probably is not the issue.

I do have a concern. I have anti-virus software that prevents me from opening attachments I want to access. The attachments are greyed out. I get a notice that says OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail.

Does anybody know how I can by pass this? I have AVG 6.0 on my computer.

Thank you so much,

Linda

8. GlobalForce

LL, you will find an excellent guide to e-mail filtering at BlackViper, full of good tips and practical info.
    He also helps explain set-up and what to look for to keep yourself, "up and running!"

GF

9. LindaLouise

Hi,

I notice the Black Viper says not to open attachments. Do you believe if it is a document you know it is still not a good idea? I notice it says concerning pictures not to include them when you have a dial up. This is my situation.

Another question. At one time I had McAfee Anti Virus software on my computer. I have used the uninstall to remove. However when I start my computer I keep getting a pop up telling me it is time to renew. I've done a search to try & find the file with no success. Any suggestions on how to remove this.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Linda

10. bigc73542

Don't know if you tried it but search for network associates it has files for mcafee. If you no longer have any mcafee software on your computer then delete all network associates you find.

bigc

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

The "page cannot be found" issue in many cases is more website related than isp......keep a list of the websites you are trying to enter when this happens........

an yes mcafee does leave traces after the un-install..but with your lack of experience be careful........not to delete that which you do not know ...........you can begin by simply seeing if mcafee left a folder in c:/program files.....use windows explorer for that............if you wish to search deeper..........suggest that you ask here before deleteing anything.....do not play in the registry if you lack the knowledge....

12. GlobalForce

Thought I'd see you here ;) BigC!

LL, concerning BV's guide, it's very important to know "who" that e-mail's comming from.
    If you're not expecting one that's questionable, forget it!
    Also pay attention to BV's comments on noting the "size" of the e-mail.
    It wouldn't hurt to re-read those pages and pick up a few pointers on "filtering".

Between people I exchange email with, there's no such thing as an address book. Keep the list somewhere else on your system, just NOT in an address book. If one of your friends gets hit with a replicating virus, and you recieve an email from them, guess what? Of course, this is just my perspective on emails, one that my close friends have adopted with me.

If McAfee's still on your system, you can check for the one that's reminding you by opening the run box and typing, msconfig ,and hit "enter". You'll get a window like this,

http://img29.exs.cx/img29/5497/Capture9-27-2004-102948PM10-25-2004-80928PM.gif

On the right hand side you'll see the "startup" tab, clk it. I just happen to have McAfee also, so you'll probably see one
    of these in there, or something McAfee. Don't do anything yet! This is just to confirm their presence. ;)
    Close after confirming.

Now open a run box again and type, C:\ ,hit enter.
    Here you will probably find the remnants of McAfee in "program files", dbl clk and look, yes? Don't do anything yet!
    Go ahead and close this window too.

At this point, we need to know if you've been to that forboding place they call "the registry?" :D If not, this comes highly recommended for keeping novices out of trouble while in there, Registrar Lite. Recommended by some of our top-flite members. This tool is simple to use and keeps errors to a minimum with good safety features. FREE!

Keep us posted as to your results and get back.

EDIT :
    Linda, the next time this happens (don't close the update window), go right clk the taskbar and open "taskmanager".
    Go to the "process" tab and clk it, you're looking for a file that starts with Mc or Mp.
    Write down the full name and do a search for it. This may be the update reminder. Note the location.

Are you running as an administrator, or limited user?

Additional thought Linda. With IE open, go to tools, internet options, and on the "general" tab in the middle,
    temporary internet files, clk "settings". In MB's, how much disk space are you using for temp files?

GF

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.