Packet capture not working

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by awol, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awol

awol Registered Member

Hi
    Well I edited the registry so that now the Socket Spy window appears, and I've followed the examples, but I cannot get any data to list in the packet data window.
    Is this another bug or I am doing something wrong?

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Awol,

Welcome to Wilders!

Are you certain that the socket on which you are enabling spying on is one that is actively receiving or sending? I mean, once you enable spying do you see the packet count change in the main display and in that time you do not see any packet data?

Which process (es) have you tried spying on?

Do you have any security apps that might conceivably interfere (such as firewall, sandbox, etc)? PE has been tested successfuly with a great many of them but I am trying to get a sense for what your operating environment is.

Thanks,

Dan

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

When i add certain processes or sockets they do show if i add the PID manually.
    Further you won't get much result if you disable sending and receiving.

4. awol

awol Registered Member

Well I haven't disabled sending or receiving so that isn't the problem.
    I'm just trying to monitor IE6 traffic, and whereas it appears in the spy list, when I try the packet data option it doesn't show a thing. I do know that something is being captured as the capture.bin file is growing as I click around in the browser.
    The only other stuff running on my box is some anti-virus software, and I do have a dedicated Linux firewall on a seperate box between my PC and the Internet, but I don't see why that should stop PE from being able to display the contents of the capture.bin file.
    My os is NT4 if that's relevant.
    I guess I'm being a real llama, but what am I missing here?

5. awol

awol Registered Member

Hey Dan the Man - you've fixed it!
    Deleting capture.bin and then restarting everything seems to have done the trick. Thanks a lot, now I can sit and watch traffic instead of getting on with building a website. :D

6. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Lol, Cool!

Thanks for following up. And enjoy the software!

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes sometimes the capture.bin file can get corrupted if your OS just hangs or resets immediately whilst doing some packet sniffing. Deleting it should fix this problem.

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.