Packet Builder will not restart

Discussion in 'Colasoft Free Network Tools' started by VNF, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VNF

VNF Registered Member

I imported a very large pcap file (1.76GB) into Packet Builder v1.0. I was able to send selected portions of the imported data. I would get an "Out of memory" error if I tried to send all packets. I closed Packet Builder.

When I try to restart Packet Builder, it gives me an "Out of memory" error and crashes. I think it is trying to reload the large amount of data that was previously imported. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app (with a reboot), but it still does not restart. I even deleted the Software\Colasoft key from the registry's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER, made sure the Colasoft Packet Builder 1.0 folder was removed from C:\Program Files, and then reinstalled. I get the same error.

Any ideas?

2. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Hi VNF,

Do you mean you can't open the program after reinstallation? You can try uninstall the program and search all Colasoft items in Registry, and install again.

3. VNF

VNF Registered Member

Correct, it crashes after the reinstallation. I tried it again. I uninstalled, deleted all Colasoft and pktbuilder keys from the registry, then reinstalled. It still crashes. The crash report shows no crash log file. The crash dump file is empty (0KB in size).

For fun I booted in safe mode, and Packet Builder still crashes, but this time it gave a dump file, which contains:
    <Exception><ExceptionRecord ModuleName="C:\Program Files\Colasoft Packet Builder 1.0\pktbuilder.exe" ExceptionCode="0xe06d7363" ExceptionDescription="" ExceptionAddress="0x7c812aeb"/><Processor Architecture="PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL" Level="Intel Pentium Pro or Pentium II" NumberOfProcessors="4"/><OperatingSystem MajorVersion="5" MinorVersion="1" BuildNumber="2600" CSDVersion="Service Pack 3"/><Modules/></Exception>

When I right click on a pcap file and open with Packet Builder (not in safe mode), the application does start up and I can import a pcap file. And it appears to be able to send packets. However, when I click on individual packets in the window, the decode and hex editor sections remain blank.

4. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Hi VNF,

You can try reinstall it again.

5. VNF

VNF Registered Member

I've now uninstalled and reinstalled at least 3 times, maybe 4. The problem persists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.