Packed / modified trojans

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ChrisP, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Will AVG 7.5 detect trojans that have been repacked / compressed or modified in some way?

I know my F-Secure wont. I have TojanHunter which I believe does, but have removed it from my system, so rely on AVG.

Cheers,

Chris

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Are you referring to the realtime Guard or the demand scanner? Have a look at this review from a year ago:-

http://scheinsicherheit.pytalhost.de/decompdelay.htm

The following quote refers to the most recent version of ewido at that time:-

You'll notice that the demand scanner (which has heuristics) missed some samples, but the on-access Guard found the lot! The reason for this is that the Guard will scan executables twice, once when you attempt to run the file and again as the file unloads into memory. The first scan might miss heavily encrypted samples because the sigs are disguised, but it is the scan in memory that snaps these up.

Trojan Hunter did not do as well in these tests. Its demand and on-access scanners both missed samples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.