packages and policies?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by aluminex, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluminex

aluminex Registered Member

My question is about building remote packages in conjuction with polices.

I build an install package with the config default_all.
    In default_all there is a scheduled weekly scan @ 3:00 am.

I push the install to a client called serverA.
    serverA is in policy "servers" which is not under the policy "default_all".
    serverA policy says the weekly scan is @ 2:00 am.

Does the serverA policy overwrite the default_all config pushed with the installation?

If so, is it better to simply create a config that has the bare essentials like the remote admin IP and use that config for installs because a policy is going to be applied to said machine anyway?

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello aluminex,

I would recommend setting up a configuration file with the minimum necessities, i.e. communication between clients and ERA server. Then use the policy manager for all other more detailed configuration settings. I mention this because your above example will not overwrite if set using a configuration file.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. briwlls

briwlls Registered Member

Rmuffler,

Your statement is as clear as I've seen regarding what to put in the confiugration profile that goes out with the install package. I followed the quick setup guide, and didn't do any configuration with my push install, I couldn't figure out why it was taking 15 to 60 minutes for clients to check in with the server and pull the first signature update.

I modified my configuration file, and now the client checks in ASAP, updates then gets the rest of the settings via Policy.

Now, is where I'm confused.

In policy along with a number of settings, I specified the update server and the remote administrator server per the quick setup guide. We have 6 remote servers that are inheriting policy from this parent policy, so in turn the update server and the remote administrator server. This isn't optimal as these clients should be getting updates from the local mirror server and talking to the local remote administrator.

So how do I correct this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.