P2V Restore sllllloooooowwwwww.....

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by GrumpyAeroGuy, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

Based on a recommendation, attempted to perform a P2V Restore from an existing archive of my xp64 installation with the final goal of being able to open it in VMWare.

I started the Restore job at 08:30 in the AM, and at 5:30PM, upon returning home, it was still running with an indicated 10 hours remaining.

The wizard indicated that the total file size to be created from the archive was to be on the order of 70Gb.

Sure enough, at 5:30PM, the file size created thus far was 29Gb, and indicating 11 hours to go --- which, extrapolating, is consistent.

Is this really how slow this is?

AMD Phenom quad core w 8Gb of RAM.

That seems hardly beneficial....

2. winds350

winds350 Registered Member

That doesn't seem right. But I bet you already guessed that, didn't you?

On my system, Win 7 x64 (which shouldn't matter), AMD Phenom II x4 955 (which shouldn't matter), 4 GB RAM (which matters slightly), source archive and target vdmk on the same SATA spindle (which matters quite a bit), I'm seeing 10-20 MB/s read/write speed, with estimates of 40 to 90 minutes to restore 52 GB into a 120GB virtual disk. The speed seems to vary a bit depending on the type of virtual disk target and if I select pre-allocate or not.

I'm killing off each run at 10-15% just to get a feel for the speed. You would need to be in the 1 MB/s range to get what you are seeing, and that's pathetic even for a USB drive.

Help about:

Paragon Virtualization Manager ™, version 2009, build 8931 (01.10.09 )

Components versions:

Paragon Base Services Library, version 1.1, build 8931 (01.10.09 )
    hdm.dll, version 10.0, release 10, build 10331
    biont.dll, version 10.0, release 10, build 10331
    biont.sys, version 10.0, release 10, build 10331

3. GrumpyAeroGuy

I am running Win7x64 Pro RTM as well.

Well, in my case, it STARTS OUT saying it'll be 45-50min... then somewhere in the following hours, as I chose NOT to stare at it for hours, it decides that the REAL time is more like 20 hours... lol

I am restoring an archive from a logical disk (SATA) to a different partition on the SAME DISK --- the second SATA drive on my system.

Here are my "credentials"... hmmmm... how'd you get that? I see no "about" dialog anywhere. BUT, it was a very recent download.

4. winds350

FWIW I got a complete run in ~1.5 hours to a VirtualBox VDI.

Help -> About is up on the menu line for me, the help icon on the toolbar doesn't have it though. Download date was 10/5, file name was vmanager2009_r2_addon_20091004_10.0.10.10331

5. GrumpyAeroGuy

1.5 hours..... sheeesh, must be nice. I was trying to punch a VMWare file, I'll check on the file name.....

have to wait till I get home, it was a free add-on with a different paragon product I purchased....

6. winds350

I looked at it as they gave me a free Partition Manager 10 Personal when I bought the Virtualization Manager :)

7. GrumpyAeroGuy

lol... looks like we're going broke saving money by getting freebies. The filename I got for adaptive restore is:

ar_winInstallx64.msi

heh.. THAT otta clear it up.

Looks like I got the Adaptive Restore App, not Virtualization Manager.

looks like this:

PAragon3.jpg

8. winds350

Yup, got AR too. Went looking for an update and it had magically been added to my download list. Just started it up, P2V to VMWare, and it's projecting 12 hours! to do the conversion.

You're right, no help about. I have the same download file name, and the download page says it's build 9.1.0.10065 with a date of 29-07-2009.

As I'm watching it, the estimated time is dropping faster than elapsed time, so it's down to 10:15 to go after 7 minutes. I think I'll stop it now, though....

I'm not quite sure where Paragon is going with the two products. It looks like Adaptive Restore is only a limited wizard where Virtualization Manager is a full blown app with partitioning, etc. It also has the very nice feature of 'connecting' a virtual disk so you can copy files off it, repair the MBR, etc.

The supported VM's differ, with AR supporting VMWare ESX and Microsoft Virtual Server and Hyper-V, while Virt Mgr only supports non-ESX VMWare and MS Virtual PC. Virt Mgr supports VirtualBox, whch AR doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be (or already is) a server version of Virtualization Manager supporting the server class VM's.

9. GrumpyAeroGuy

Yepper... that's the way mine started, I left it running, and went to work. The thought process being, will if the estimated time is cratering that much relative to the elapsed time, this puppy will SURELY have made it within the next 9 hours. Turns out it didn't. When I got home, it was projecting an additional 12 hours, with HALF the file size created that it was projecting, with 9 hours already under its belt, which, kinda made sense on extrapolation.

My other thought was that there are several "phases" of the process, and that the est time was projected for x phases, and the elapsed time was cratering for the FIRST phase, and then it revised itself at the beginning of the subsequent processes, and then it got to the mother of the processes and had 10 hours to go...

dunno either. I guess I will let it hum sometime when I can let it run 20 hours or so... LOL

10. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

WOW!! 20 hrs that sucks. I have the Adaptive Restore also guys and have used the P2V twice, once to migrate my 32 bit Vista OS to a VMWare machine and the other to migrate to VirtualBox vdi. Neither has taken me longer than 2 hours and I on my HP laptop AMD Turion X2Ultra w/ 3 GB RAM. I have had a couple of problems and finally went back to the VMWare vCenter Converter to make my vmdk's. It actually takes a little longer for me than the Paragon AR but I have no problems with the virtual disk Im creating.

11. GrumpyAeroGuy

dang... 2 hours, must be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.