p2v hyper-v file wont boot

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by marcusatl, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusatl

marcusatl Registered Member

I have created a .vhd file from a Server 2003 installation. I create a new vm in Hyper-v manager and use the new .vhd file. Upon start I reach a blue screen with 'Windows must shut down to prevent damage' and this repeats indefinitely.

I even tried exporting the vm and then importing again. I was able to do this but I still receive the above errors during boot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello marcusatl,

I'm unclear what you did here. Are you attempting to move a virtual machine from one manager to another? Or did you backup a previous virtual machine, and attempt to restore it onto a different virtual machine. You shouldn't have this problem if you've moved a Hyper-V machine to another Hyper-V machine. But it's not surprising if you went from VMware to Hyper-V, per say.

Can you make note if the blue screen is a 7B error? Typically when the same Windows boots in its new environment with new "hardware", you see that 7B error.

Using Virtualization Manager 2009 trial, you can install the program in the previous environment, and load the necessary drivers prior to migrating it. You can do it post migration with Adaptive Restore, which is included in your Drive Backup product as a separate download in your account manager. Adaptive Restore will be launched from an iso.

-Tommy

3. marcusatl

Thank you for your response
    I have physical Server 2003 server. I used Adaptive Restore (the p2v option) to generate a vhd file for Hyper-v.
    I then moved the vhd file to the server running Hyper-v and proceeded to add a new virtual machine using the new vhd file.
    When I start the vm I receive the error. I will try to take a screen shot to read the text on the error message (it disapears very quickly)

4. Paragon_Tommy

We need to find the scsi driver for Hyper-V. Load the adaptive restore iso, and inject the driver into the new the OS.

Edit: I noticed Hyper-V does not support scsi. When you create the vhd, did you get the option to create IDE or SCSI?

If this is the case with Hyper-V only supporting IDE virtual drives, you can perform a backup of the physical machine, and restore to the virtual machine without problems.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  5. marcusatl

I appreciate you help but I cannot follow the above advice
    Do I need to boot into the AR iso and then run p2v on my Server 2003? At that point will I have an option to inject the scsi drivers?

Is there a step-by-step tutorial for this that I can look at?

Thanks again

6. Paragon_Tommy

I noticed Hyper-V does not support scsi. When you create the vhd, did you get the option to create IDE or SCSI?

If this is the case with Hyper-V only supporting IDE virtual drives, you can perform a backup of the physical machine, and restore to the virtual machine without problems.

7. marcusatl

Thank you, I just found that out too :( .
    I will attempt to restore a back up to the vm.

8. Paragon_Tommy

Also try using the Drive Backup Linux recovery disk:

Boot to recovery disk, select normal mode, boot corrector, search for OS, and "adjust OS to new hardware" and reboot.

I'm thinking because your physical server was scsi, and now it's on an virtual IDE drive, Windows a bit confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.