P2P X Spyware

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by HoLmEc, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoLmEc

HoLmEc Registered Member

All P2P programs that I have come across have spyware in it :( I liked LimeWire a lot, but my pestpatrol says it has spyware ... does anyone know a good p2p software which is spyware free ?

2. dog

dog Guest

For the complete story :http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/articles/p2p/ Links also provided. ;)

HTH, ;)

Steve

Ps. Take Pre-Cautions using P2P's ... make sure to scan everything you DL with both an AV and AT ... There are a couple of free Anti-Trojans available:

ASquared - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    Ewido - http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  3. PeteAtWork

PeteAtWork Guest

You need to consider the fact that PestPatrol could very well be giving you a false positive on the LimeWire result.

I use LimeWire Pro (among others) and I can assure you - it's spyware free (as long as you got it from the manufacturers website, at least).

I'm RELATIVELY sure even the freeware version of it's spyware free. Pete

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I use LimeWire and have no problem, well sort of. I run a program called PeerGuardian, it stops all the anti-piracy groups and governments spying on you, which is a little unfair for the innocent. It blocks their IP address from viewing your files and definitions are updated frequently. While running LimeWire, if I have PeerGuardian open, a lot of interesting people run scans on me, even if i have nothing on my pc.

Jimbob

5. 666

666 Guest

KCeasy is spyware-free too (and open soure, so anyone can check the code). The default setup connects to Ares, Gnutella, and openFT. With an optional plugin you can connect to FastTrack too.

www.kceasy.com

6. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

7. loser

loser Guest

Yeah, you gotta have the IP blocker. I'm using Protowall until PeerGuardian 2. (Seems to have more options in terms of features)
    I've never had a problem with K-Lite unfortunately I can't seem to find a link to 2.4.5 which is the best to use here on XP SP2 (2.6 is not SP2 compatible and 2.7 is still in beta). Xolox sounds pretty good too (www.xolox.nl). It claims to connect to all major networks and is spyware free. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it.

8. Socio

Socio Registered Member

The lastest version of Exeem is supposed to be spyware free.

Also if you have a software firewall like ZoneAlarm you can use Blocklist Manager to let your firewall software block the same IP's that say Protowall or PeerGuardian will.

9. Jimbob1989

Are you sure because I heard the early versions were riddling.

Jimbob

10. Jimbob1989

Plus, not all Firewalls allow you to import IP block lists.

Jimbob

11. Socio

Socio Registered Member

From what I understand so many complained about it plus someone else went and made a light version called Exeem Lite without spyware so they caved and removed all spyware from version 0.21 of Exeem.

True,

Some are not supported by direct exportation and require lists to be converted, even then some like Outpost which I run need a plugin that supports that and others are just not supported at all.

12. Jimbob1989

Keeping the block lists up to date are a pain aswell. Here is how I did it. Every know and again, I would download lists from multiple sources using Blocklist manager and merge them into one and I could convert them to work with my firewall at the time, however if I used the full list, blocking everything and imported the list into peerguardian, it crashed because the list from blocklist manager was so big.

Jimbob

13. loser

loser Guest

How big was the file? Yeah that's a lot more likely to happen in firewalls that's why you gotta use a low level IP Blocker like Peerguardian or Protowall. That's why I was surprised to hear that this file crashed Peerguardian. My blockfile is ~2.85MB in Protowall, no problems. You should try reinstalling the driver. It helped my brother's computer.

14. Jimbob1989

The biggest list I managed to get hold of, when converted into blockpost usable format was 4.56 MB, all text.

Jimbob

15. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I tried using all sources in the BlockList manager and mine is 5.53MB

16. Jimbob1989

Probably been updated since I last checked, thanks for that. Will download the latest now.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.