p2p behind a firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zaftcouncil, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaftcouncil

zaftcouncil Registered Member

Hi guys. How can I use p2p programs such as bittorrent behind a coporate firewall? I can only access the internet through a corporate proxy server through port 8080. Thanks in advance.

2. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

You would have to contact your network administrator and/or IT Security team and ask for the relevants ports to be opened up on Corp Firewall. Any Corporate Network Adminstrator or IT Security team in their right mind wouldn't even consider this though!!

I would advise saving this for home PC use only.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't recommend opening up ports for the sake of using P2P. P2P is very risky and opening up the ports is equal to exposing your own computer to an extremely dangerous trojan attack. Don't risk the security of your computer like this, its just simply not worth it.

4. Diver

Diver Guest

Forget about using Bittorrent at work. Chances are thatit is a violation of your companies IT policies and could get you fired.

At home just set up your firewall to allow inbound TCP connections on the ports your bittorrent client is using. Those are usually 6881 - 6888. Allow outbound TCP connections on ports 80 and 1024 - 65535. A propper firewall will keep the ports stealthed (its the inbound ones you are concernec about) unless the bittorent application is actually running.

Try using Azureaus. It only requires one open inbound port. The default is 6881, but anything from 6881 through 6999 will work fine. Th eapplication you willbe setting up the ports for is javaw.exe

The world will not end if you open up a port this way.

5. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

If I ever use p2p services I would make sure I had a firewall running which detected outbound connections so I knew exactly what I was connecting to and through which port, before I accept.

Jimbob

6. MGD

MGD Registered Member

........and use PeerGuardian 2!!

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I've just read what thay does and its now installed :D

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.