P2P anonymity?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ChrisP, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Is there any app or service out there that will anonymise a p2p client?

I have ben thinking about trying Anonymizer - but dont know if this works with P2P.

All advice welcome.

2. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wouldn't go near ANY P2P app that provides a pay option (and yes that includes Limewire). Think about what you are doing, handing over financial data and home data to a company that provides access to illegal downloads, that is STUPID. Sure, use the free version, but when you get to their website, look for yourself, the paid users get higher priority, meaning you the free user get your speeds throttled...doesn't an ISP already do enough of that without your own P2P app doing it too? Emule doesn't do that, UTorrent and Azuerus don't do it either, and they are well respected apps with TONS of support in the form of forums, guides, user reviews, you name it, and also free.

Besides, where is the forum? Is this program THAT new? I want to know what the other users of the program think (the very few I believe there are). No need to take my advice of course, but I believe at the very least you would be getting a , pardon the expression, "half-assed" app, and at the very worst, a scam.

Do yourself a favor, use torrents or Emule, get a good IP blocker like Peerguardian with Bluetack lists and/or load an IP filter from Bluetack into Emule or Utorrent/Azuerus, and you'll not only have a clean, respected, fast P2P experience, but also a safer one (P2P is not now nor will it ever be 100% safe of course).

P.S, you can't trust Anonymizer to not keep and possibly turn your data over, P2P or not.

4. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

i wouldn't use any US based service for p2p, is the pure about of DCMA notices that these services attach (due to the RIAA and MPPA) that they will disconnect you straight away or leave you to deal with it.

if you want use btguard or a vpn provider outside of the us, relakks (note: not sure if the resent data retention laws make this a variable option), vpn tunnel (uk based), etc.

otherwise use emule with ip filter, and a good server. for torrents; ipfilter, protocol encryption and use a private tracker. and some common sense.

that your don't download anything and hide under a rock lol

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can agree up to the statement about private servers. IMHO, unless you can manage to get into one of the really difficult private sites such as Demonoid, whatever they're calling Oink now (I don't recall, or the like, private websites are riskier than well known public ones. These websites are relatively easy to set up and they come and go quite often. You can't be sure that a relatively obscure website is not set up by the wrong folks. It's probably pretty easy to conjure up a fake forum with "hundreds of happy users" with a few people working the operation.

Maybe paranoia is kicking in again, but I still suggest Emule with a clean server list and an IP blocker or a known torrent app with an IP blocker and a well known, large, free website like Mininova, TPB and such.

6. rottenbanana

rottenbanana Registered Member

While not really p2p, newsgroups seem fairly secure and anonymous. Most providers claim they don't keep logs of downloads or groups accessed, only uploads are tagged for spam identification. See Astraweb FAQ's and privacy policies for example. As for not using anything US based, Astraweb's owner Searchtech Ltd. seems to be located in Singapore. Wonder what laws they have there.

Of course it's up to the individual to decide whether or not to trust the provider to really keep a customer anonymous. Just to say, the providers rely on customers to stay in business, that's their side of the coin. Drop the coin in the mud, customer side down, and they won't find the coin anymore.

Personally i find no problems trusting them, especially considering my traffic is download only. SSL-encrypted while at it, to keep my suspicions about my ISP calm.

7. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Hello.

thought I met let you guys in on a secret. I've heard there is a 100% free anonymous p2p solution in the works, and it works on any OS, with any torrent client. Available later this year.

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Yes, I already use newsgroups - I use NewsRover with a Giganews premium account that uses encrypted tunneling. Its fast and there is great retention. P2P is slow but has a slightly wider range available.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Have the little birdies in your ear given you any specifics?

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

At the moment, Im not convinced that any solution protects privacy with p2p, so I have removed it from my PC and will stick with newsgroups / newsrover.

I will see which safer networks pop up - Im positive they will.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's the thing about P2P no matter what method you use, you're never 100% untrackable.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

13. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Only rumors.

UPDATE: Rumors confirmed. There is a new free darknet being setup.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.