P-cillan and Norton require 128ram-I have 64ram - Need anti virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by taperino, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Hi.

I have Windows XP (Srvc Pck 1). I have 64mb ram.

I need an anti-virus program but trend micro's p-cillan (which I would prefer to use) says min requirements 128mb. Norton has the same minimum.

XP is running fine w/64 ram so far. What can I use as a virus program with only 64?

I really wish I could use P-cillan. I wonder if I can d/l and not have it running all the time, just use it for individual files.

Thanks for your help.

taperino

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Before you try to choose an AV program you need to make a decision;

1. If you are staying with XP, you need to increase your amount of RAM. Even with all the 'fancy XP candy' turned off, 128mB Ram is considered the bare minimum for this OS. I presume you have upgraded your system as even when XP first shipped, most boxes came with at least this amount of memory.

I would recommend at least double this as memory is fairly cheap nowadays. If you try an AV guard with 64mB Ram, and you install other running security programs ( e.g. a firewall ) you will be walking through molasses on an XP System.

You can as you say run ONLY an on-demand scanner and then your choice widens. But you then need to be extra careful when surfing and you still have not solved your underpowered XP system.

2. If you have to stay with this amount of memory, think about going back to Win 98, as even Win 2000 will be slow with only 64 mB Ram.

You state that your system is running fine so far, but just try adding more memory and you should now see a big increase in the speed of your computer. XP is a real memory hog, so the more you can give it the better.

For low spec systems, stay well away from Norton and check the post which optigrab has given you. NOD, Dr Web, F-Prot for Windows, Command AV are all good choices.

But my main advice would be to optimise your OS first, then think about an AV scanner.

4. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

With Windows XP you need 128 MB of ram. You may disable some services and graphical effects.
    You may use Windows 98 .
    Lihgt antivirus: Command - BitDefender - DrWeb - F- Prot

5. alex T

alex T Registered Member

On a very low ressources PC (pentium 133 - 16ram - WIN98 FE) antiVir 9X from H+BEDV runs smoothly with runtime protection. AVAST 4.1 runs also but slows the system a lot.

6. izi

izi Registered Member

7. taperino

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't know anyone had replied. I better go fix my email notifier preference.

I have DSL, which is why I upgraded from WIN98.

I do want to get more Ram, but on looking at my m/b book, it sounds a little complicated. I'm not sure what type to order, and it says my sys will not recognize when I add RAM.

Also, AIDA says my cpu is not being utilized. Runs out of resource right away. (not a quote.)

Thanks for the anti-virus programs. Been running without anything.

Since this is a security site, I assume you can't help me with adding the RAM? Can you tell me where to look? Thanks, Taperino

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I suspect that if you are willing to try adding RAM to your machine, you can do it without too much difficulty. :D

This thread will probably be moved if the subject changes to RAM upgrades. But the members here at Wilders are really helpful and knowledgeable on many PC issues, not just security. I'm sure that there will be some terrific references offered. In the meantime, I will start with a couple of links.

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/ram-upgrade-faqs.shtml#whichram
    http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/howto/story/0,24330,2001321,00.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,110336,00.asp
    http://www.crucial.com/

Good luck. Once you get it going, I'm sure you'll be happy you gave it a try!

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi there,

If you can describe your computer, (brand, processor, etc.) it might help us a bit more. Most motherboards back to Pentium II will recognize new RAM when it is installed, so this information could be helpful in getting you upgraded.

Good luck!
    ;)

11. taperino

Hi. Thank you all for your kind and informative posts. I did download NOD32. Thank you.

I was going to bring the computer to Best Buy to do the RAM. I've never added RAM but am willing to try. :D

AIDA gives me the following: CPUID - SSE is not supported. Upgrade CPU to speed up application optimization.

With adding the ram, the book says I would need to manually tell the sys that it's there (as I wrote before.) The CPUID thing though... What can I do for that problem? Previously I ran Win98 w/this same system and never had problems that I'm aware of.

Hopefully, my signature shows system. Do I have a Pentium? I don't know much about systems. lol

Ah, how much RAM should I get. The max that I can? (I use multimedia a lot.)

Thanks, Taperino

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

D'oh!!

It sure does! :D

2 128 mb sticks of P133 RAM would probably work wonders with XP. Best Buy will have it. If you're nervous about fiddling with your system BIOS, it might be easier and a better idea to let them do it while you're there.

No reason that system won't run XP adequately with the new RAM.

Let us know how it goes...!

13. taperino

Mem added..sys much better.. Stay with NOD32?

Hi,

Turns out it was more expensive than best buy thought, and so sys now has 192mb ram. It did recognize it was there he said. He booted twice, so he says.

I got the computer home and the sys wouldn't start, wouldn't even boot. After a bit, the system would boot and though I haven't shut if completely down since then; I have sucessfully restarted several times.

Perhaps the memory was a bit confused. The tech told me wiggle and break it in, but I haven't done that.

On startup it was running scan, but shuts off the keyboard so that I can not say yes to fix files.

So, I tried in safe mode, but even there, it said resources were being used and couldn't do scan. However, it did somehow fix the files.

I am using the NOD32 av.

Should I start looking for a different av, or is NOD32 (ver2) good now with the 192ram?

Thanks again for your help.

Taperino

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Re: Mem added..sys much better.. Stay with NOD32?

Should work great! Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.