overwritten truecrypt bootloader - can it be restored??

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by tatralor, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatralor

tatralor Registered Member

Hi all,

In a momentary lapse of thinking, I have overwritten the Truecrypt boot loader with another one. I'm trying for days to make it work, but with no luck. I cannot mount the drive neither in Windows 7, nor in Ubuntu.

I have an internal drive with 3 partitions (excepting the linux swap). First one is with Ubuntu 12.04LTS, second with windows 7 (full encrypted) and third is non-system NTFS:

http://i57.tinypic.com/23v17kn.png

I needed to boot into Ubuntu (first time in 2 years) to solve an issue with a mobile phone and because the Truecrypt boot loader didn't let me boot into Ubuntu, i have installed BootUS or something like that (it skipped my mind that by doing that, the encrypted partition will get messed up). And afterwards, i still couldn't boot Ubuntu (damn bootloader) and i have booted an Ubuntu liveCD and also installed GRUB (to be able to boot Ubuntu whenever i want to). Only when i have restarted and tried to get into windows i have realised what i've done.

I have tried to mount it in Ubuntu and in a live version of Win 7 (using Truecrypt) in every possible mode but no use. I found this forum and some related posts, got WinHex running, but i don't understand exactly what i have to do and wether there's smth that can be done or not, how the Truecrypt header can be identified etc.

This is how the encrypted partition looks like in WinHex:

http://i62.tinypic.com/ncxukx.png

Is there a way to recover it?

Thanks a dozen,
    Andu

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Am I assuming you don't have a rescue disk? If you do have one its a few seconds and you are in.

3. tatralor

No rescue disk, no back-up, no nothing :-(

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. FriendlyNeighbor

FriendlyNeighbor Registered Member

Have you tried mounting the disk with the option "restore volume header" and then using the hidden volume headers?

Have you tried using Testcrypt?

I've just posted a thread with a lot of information about a similar issue. It should be helpful for you.

5. tatralor

Thanks man! I have tried everything inside Truecrypt. On Testcrypt website sais: "Pre-Boot Authentication is not supported", which is not my case. I don't know what else to do. Also have tried like 10-15 file/partition recovery software. Truecrypt is really a kick-ass program. It's a pitty that they've given up on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.