Overwriting

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by n8chavez, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Since my other thread was closed I need to start a new one.

I've been trying to find out which program is better at overwriting data; Eraser or BCWipe. Previously I had asked about comparisons between entire feature sets, but that thread was closed.

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

They will both work well at deleting files.

"Better" is relative and comes down to personal taste. It's subjective to whoever uses it.

Try both and decide which one you like better. 100 people will say they like Eraser, and another 100 people will say they prefer BCWipe. Decide which one is best for you, because they will both delete files beyond recognition.

Get 2 Hard Drives, and wipe one using multiple wipes in Eraser and the other using BCWipe. Then take them both to a professional data recovery company and ask them to retrieve the data on both of them. You will find that the data recovery company will be unsuccessful in retrieving data on both hard drives.

As for me, I use Eraser instead of BCWipe. Why? It's relative :)

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I disagree with you there. This is not a matter or opinion nor relativity. There has to be a clear cut winner here, or at least data to substantiate on way or the other; 'x' overwrites data but not filenames nor the MFT, but 'y' does all. Anything to that effect is what I am looking for. The data has to exist, or at least the potential for the data has to be there. So, I disagree with you; it is not just a matter of personal preference.

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

You are right. Clearly, it cant be a matter of opinion. One must be better than the other.

Unfortunately, you wont be able to discuss these issues at a forum so restrictive as Wilders. You, like many others will have fo go to a forum that allows useful discussions and direct comparisons. Try Google!

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would suggest taking a look at the original thread for information on this topic.

There is not a lot of info to be gleaned from rehashing old topics here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.