Overwrite existing backup?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by diabloNL, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diabloNL

diabloNL Registered Member

I would like to do the following but I don't know if this is possible.

I have made a scheduled file backup that will backup 10 folders containing my saved games to a SD card. What I would like is that the backup is overwritten with the new one. Until now I can't find out how to do it -if it is even possible-.

What I find strange is that DB gives me the option to turn "Generate unique names for scheduled backups" off. Because, when it runs the second time it gives me an error.

Thanks in advance!

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I believe if you don't have unique names - it should overwrite.

What error are you getting?

3. diabloNL

I get this:

Attached Files:

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Check out Tommy's post here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=258074

5. diabloNL

Hi SIW2 thanks for your help. From this I understand that it should be possible to overwrite. I tried in anyway and changed my date and clock a week later but it still gives the same message.

6. diabloNL

Still can't get this to work. Still getting the same error. I just want to make a super simple backup where it overwrites the backup each day. I'm now using Avira to do this backup. Yep Avira Antivirus while I have DB Pro. Made me laugh though. :D

Hope there are more tips out there!

7. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

sounds to me like you are looking for the cyclic back-up feature.

You can schedule a BU and specify the number and or max size of the accumulated archives, and it goes thru and decides when to delete the older ones. Works great on my end.

8. diabloNL

Hi GrumpyAeroGuy, thanks for your help. As far as I can see I can't do a file backup with the cyclic function. It will only allow me to select partitions and drives.

What I really don't understand is that DB gives me the option to turn off "generate unique names" if it can't overwrite the existing backup. Unless I'm doing something wrong that is.

9. diabloNL

No one? Any help is welcome!

10. diabloNL

I solved it now by adding some code to the script. Now it will delete archive.pfi just before it creates a new one when the task is run. I don't delete task_file.pft because it seems a new one is automatically created.

But it would be great if it just overwrite it as soon as I untick the "Generate unique names", because now I end up deleting a lot of entries from the archive list in B&R. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.