overall SuRun questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chris2busy, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

hello everybody..i was thinking of asking some questions before i try this approach of LUA..like...since it uses hooks to simulate LUA effects how fast do they load?if it does not load fast enough its pointless to use.some of my friends that tried it(no other security software in their setup) said it made their system crawl..anyone here with slowdown experiences?known issues?processes defence(surun's processes)?

2. chris2busy

so..none uses surun?or just nobody reccomends it?

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, to be honest, the questions seem a bit confused.

With SuRun you are working under a genuine limited user account. Nothing is being simulated. You log in under LUA and you generally run under LUA. When you need to run something with Admin level privileges, SuRun allows you to launch it with this elevated privilege set.

As for slowdown - none should be seen.

This really is how Microsoft should have implemented LUA in Windows. If your friends wish to run with "no other security software", I believe that it is a very decent solution, although it would probably be worthwhile to augment SuRun/LUA with SRP as described here and expanded a bit in general here as well.

Blue

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Nope i don't notice any slowdown when using surun inside a virtual machine so i'd say there should be none when running it on a real system.

5. chris2busy

isn't SRP accused to be buggy?thats what i've read from some users around here..

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Ummm, SRP is basically an OS enforced configuration (or policy, if you will) that you define. If there's a problem, it's with respect to the policy definition, not SRP per se.

Blue

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Perhaps you should temporarily disable any SRP's and see how surun performs?
    I just installed surun and setup a simple srp on my xp pro host system and it runs fine.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

There is absolutely no slowdown with SuRun, even for disk I/O or system response.

9. chris2busy

good to know :) i really hadn't had much time to test on virtual machine and tell..but sounds tempting thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.