outside Online armor and comodo are there alternative?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

OSS is light on my system.

2. monsunami

monsunami Registered Member

OSS 2009 (Outpost Security Suite) is light on my system when doing nothing but web browsing, etc. Will become a resource hog when p2p or Heavy gaming (although there are some tweaks and workarounds, but they're for disabling features). It should be a good choice for an average consumer.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i wouldnt say its a problem and since its always worked fine on any of my systems, id have to say its an imcompatibility issue with something ur running, or previously installed security software.

try it with enhanced security on, if it works which it does most of the time, then keep it on, if it doesnt work properly, turn it off, i suggest u try with it on first (unless ur looking for JUST a firewall, then turn it off right away and it shuld be all good)

4. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi firzen :)

I have tried ESV - On! ... :argh:

PC Tools Firewall Plus...
    v3 .. Didn't have - ESV
    v4 .. ESV gave me.. High CPU Spikes, A Manic Hard Drive, Freezes, and Slowdowns.
    v5 .. For the first week I was able to keep ESV turned On :D
    Then came update : 5.0.0.37
    And I started having Blue Screens every morning while booting up :'(
    Turned ESV - OFF again!
    And my computer hasn't had a Blue screen since :)

PS.
    All the above refers to my - Desktop Computer

I now have PC Tools Firewall Plus on my Laptop too :)
    However!
    Until I know for sure that they have sorted their ESV problems out.
    No Way! .. Am I prepared to take the risk of having ESV on my Laptop.
    There must be serious problems with ESV ... As the PC Tools Forum certainly has enough people complaining about ESV
    In Fact!
    ESV seems to be the only real problem that anyone ever has with this great little Firewall ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

the last part of my post was actually directed at the OP, the first part was for u.

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well of course there are always alternatives. But to really "solve" your selection issue you should clarify how you want FW rules to work. Do you want inbound protection only or also outbound as a privacy issue?

Have a look at the current polls and the FW stickies plus the learning threads. Then pick one to trial as in the end only you can decide this.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i read that lots users use kerio 2
    i 'm not sure but it's old
    is still available?

8. Escalader

Yes, you can still obtain it, BUT it is unsupported. Some say it doesn't matter if you know how to work the rules!

9. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

10. sded

sded Registered Member

I used Kerio 2.1.5 for quite a while with XP; only dropped it because it started having logging problems on my configuration around SP2 time. Google for the "Blitzen Zeus" ruleset if you want to use it-there are others, but that one does a pretty good job of giving you a baseline and explaining what it does so you can go on. Once you get used to it the rule making it become pretty intuitive, and there aren't a bunch of hidden things going on in the background to worry about. Very nice way to learn a lot about packet filtering firewalls. But you should also look at some of the discussions of vulnerabilities. :)

11. demonon

demonon Guest

I tried, but no luck. Could you refer me to a page?

12. sded

sded Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  13. demonon

demonon Guest

14. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

I was considering using Online Armor Free version [with a free AV such as Avira] for a decent light-memory-footprint security setup compatible with both Windows 7 and XP - is this reasonable or are there better options?
    On my Vista Laptop I run KIS2009 and on the desktop ZAPro 5.5 and Nod32 2.7 and the latter is alot leaner than the former.....

15. Escalader

IMHO, unless you are into debugging vendor FW software and enjoy being on the bleeding edge just hold with what you know.

Vista is known to eat more than XP and who knows yet what windows 7 will do. I've managed so far to avoid the whole vista saga!

At least one these vendors is still busy with beta testing and new release versions promised and promised so they are still not satisfied with the test results.

I think ZA is now at version 8 at least, so your pro is "old".

Nod32 2.7 is an AV not a FW as you know.

From the sounds of it, your DT is xp and the laptop is Vista, is that correct?

I know that you may benefit from visiting the Avira forum as there was a report there about a conflict or issue with OA, so unless you wanted to get caught up in that one stay away from it.

The only way to "know" whether certain combos will work in your PC's is to trial them one SW change at a time so you know which one caused the BSOD. But again if your present set up works leave it alone. Slowness can be caused by crap accumulating in your registry from old SW not fully uninstalled. So if you haven't done it lately try CCleaner out it works on xp and on vista and it's free!

But what do I know, I just work here!

16. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Outpost 2009
    PCTools Firewall
    Kerio 2.1.5 (not recommended for newbies)

17. Escalader

Outpost, no comment never used it

PC Tools FW+ see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1412869&postcount=57 it fails to enforce certain user made rules,

Kerio 2.1.5 yes not for the newbies, must be prepared to learn a lot , unsupported product and had a conflict with Perfect Disk.

18. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Outpost Firewall Pro has my vote. I have been a a user a few years now. They are currently offering a lifetime license.

19. Escalader

Very interesting. Could you post a jpg / image of one of the Outpost FW rules for us to look at?

Say for your browser, or mail client showing, protocol, direction, logging, program control , ports list. Are there any other specials for an Outpost rule say on endpoints or the use of any blacklisted ip's?

I know this takes a bit of time but to help assess a FW the basic choice variable is how rules are made by the user or automatically during set up.
    How much control user has over rules and modifying them to suit your needs ( or mine) is critical.

Of course if these rules we make are not enforced by the SW then that FW should NOT be used as it is fatally flawed.

20. CookieCrumbler

CookieCrumbler Registered Member

I'm gonna have to go with Outpost Firewall Pro.

I think it's amazing, runs excellent on my slow computer.

21. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

Thanks.
    Win7 rocks!
    I have settled for Avira and PC Tools and it gives me a lean combo that I am happy with:thumb:

I know ZAPro 5.5 is old but when it was in Ver 7 I asked in the appropriate forums and I was told the changes to the FW are minimal and do not merit considering the change if I am happy with what I have. ZAPro 7.x trashed my machine:mad:

22. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I don't attempt to write rules for each application. I have the global rules set to allow Outpost to establish rules through Agnitum's ImproveNet. Overall the firewall is set to Block Most. I also have self protection enabled and I have password protection set. Attack detection is set to maximum, host protection to advanced. I don't use the blocklist for separate IP addresses. I have a modified Hosts files (MVPS and hpHosts merged). That is sufficient for me.

23. Escalader

Before firming up on your combo I feel a duty to refer you to:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=234094

24. Escalader

It sounds good. I wasn't attempting to get you to write a rule for the thread I just thought you could show me a rule generated by your SW. I'm just curious to see one from Outpost.

Tell me about Agnitum's ImproveNet? What does it do for users? Does it only work with Outpost?

25. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

By adhering to ImproveNet, the user consents that, information, regarding the installed applications in the system, are sent to Agnitum, to improve the database of well known applications, by making predefined rules. Such rules are checked by Agnitum, beforing being redistributed to every other user.

This way, people who choose to let Outpost automatically created rules for well-known applications by trusted vendors, won't have to deal with the hassle of having to create them manually, and fear that some setting might be giving more or less rights than they need to work properly.

Of course, you can later on, make this or that change for the application to work on your very own taste.

It also helps to catch malware.

Someone else may give a better view of it, by explaining it better. That's the best I can do. ;)
    But, it's pretty much that.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.