outside look & stop (fast firewall) need

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i need a good firewall that doesn't slow down my connection
    i tried look & stop, outside it is there some good choices?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

kerio 2.1.5 perhaps?

if u dont need app control, ghostwall and chx-i seem to be very light.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks wsfuser

but i don't speak about ram resource

i 'm talking about slow down the internet connection , internet surfing

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well theyre light in that way too.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yes, it's slow coz firewalls are making inbound & outbound checkpoints...that's why if you already has a slow internet connection it will be slowed down further.
    If you have slow internet connections, better use the built-in windows xp/sp2 firewall set to no exceptions, or GhostWall firewall. They only blocks inbound that's why they have more faster speed than other "complete firewalls". Then use Firefox Browser, use TuneUp Utilities 2006 it has an internet connection optimizer that really works. Then, adds the protection of ProcessGuard, GhostSecurity Suite, WinPatrol, HardenIT, Windows Worm Doors Cleaner (WWDC) and a reliable anti-virus.

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A "slow" internet connection should result in software firewalls having far less impact since they have less data to process - most firewalls' CPU utilisation tends to be related to the amount of network traffic which is why those using P2P applications on high-speed connections tend to encounter more problems.

However there are lots of other reasons why a firewall may appear to "slow" a connection, mainly due to it blocking certain types of traffic that may result in long timeouts. If Mantra cares to give more details about their previous experience (e.g. firewall used and what appeared to be slowed down) then others here can give more specific advice.

Another thing to note is that anti-virus scanners often need to be configured to exclude firewall log files. Such logs are frequently updated so an overzealous AV can cause slowdowns (due to rescanning) in many cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.