Outpost Wins Again

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rainwalker, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

2. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

But OfCourse!! Thanks For The Post

3. Rainwalker

:D ;)

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

No surprise ! Too bad more people do not realize just how good this gem is

5. pcuser32

pcuser32 Registered Member

Outpost is ok as just a firewall
    but I ran the DiamondCS APT test using it
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apt
    failed all tests.....
    also finjan testing lab
    http://www.finjan.com/SecurityLab/SecurityTestingCenter/
    fails all

hostile web sites will had a field day on my system
    switched to Mozilla firefox which helped

Just installed Tinys TFPro 6.5.52 and so far so good
    having lots fun setting it up and learning alot from the forums

stops DiamondsCS APT test cold right out of the box

TFPro must be a secret, no way Outpost is better

/pcuser32

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Tiny is very good but with a very steep learning curve.
    Outpost protected by ProcessGuard is an easier option for many users :)

Cheers. Pilli

7. hollywoodpc

Ahhh .
    No way Outpost is better ? Oh , but , you are wrong . Outpost is very good at what is does . Keep in mind that Tiny has some features built in that make it more than a firewall . With all of it's features , I will say it is the best firewall made . In one solution . You will not go wrong with Tiny . EXCELLENT firewall . I use Outpost but , I know how to configure it and set up rules . I also use PG and pcIP which covers ALL the bases . With these 3 programs , I pass every test available with flying colors . Do not be fooled into thinking that Outpost cannot hang with Tiny . It can . Not right out of the box but , if you are intelligent enough to set up Tiny , you are intelligent enough to configure Outpost . And last I saw , fo les money . But , you are happy with Tiny . Good choice .

8. hollywoodpc

And to Pilli ,
    100 % correct . That is what I am saying . If he can configure Tiny to pass , he can configure Outpost to pass . Tiny is fun to play with and learn but , I actually felt better over time , using Outpost . Personal preference but , very well protected

9. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have used Outpost for about one year. I was happy with it. But later on, I found that it shut down by itself several times for no reason. So I switched to TINY 6.0. TINY is strong in functions. But TINY's interface design is really bad, which I believe is the reason for the steep learning curve for new users. Well, TINY designers are still boasting their HTML/XML interface design strategy. Haven't tried TINY 6.5 yet, so I have no idea of how good it can be now.

10. hollywoodpc

I actually liked to interface . It could be better but , I thought it was ok . But regardless of the interface , it IS difficult to master . But , excellent if you can !

11. SIMONxi

SIMONxi Guest

One of the leading computer magazines in Poland has conducted a test of 12 firewalls, selecting Outpost as a winner. The main competitor in the test turned out to be Norton Firewall, and it is an honor for us to compete with a product of such class.

p.S.
    Norton Firewall is based upon AtGuard. I must say that Symantec does good work and that it is merely the direction of focus which does not appeal to the Wilders crowd. It seems most every product reaches a point wherein it wishes to be everything to the lowest common denominator. The entire company of Norton, with the change to Symantec, has embraced such a philosophy.......................................

12. Rainwalker

I'm running OP and Firefox...Firefox will not allow Active X and i do not allow it in OP, yet that Active X game that was downloaded for one of their tests got through. How could this have happened................yeah, i know, any number of ways :doubt:

13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The Finjan ActiveX demo is a separate downloadable file, not an applet embedded in a webpage (which would have been blocked by the Active Content filter). Blocking it would therefore lie more within the province of process control software (Process Guard or System Safety Monitor) or script blocking software (some anti-virus software, Script Sentry).

14. Rainwalker

OK thanks P2K.....................................PG did ask if i wanted to run it, but this was not the case SS .......................it never popped up and allowed it to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.