Outpost vs OnlineArmor: which one?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by faenil, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QS

QS Registered Member

Just to clear something up Running OP Pro 2009 and KAV 2009 both are running swimingly here i find it quite a decent setup. Sad not to be using Comodo anymore but it was just messing all my .Net apps up and OP 2009 really is starting to look a bit better than 4.

2. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

Comodo 3 is simply better than Outpost Pro. So you get a better Firewall for no payment.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Comodo is simply a Nagy old grandma that freaks out every time you move the mouse.. its more productive to pay for something that has a Hint of intelligence of its own. And aint going to shut off your internet traffic if you move the mouse to fast or the wrong way. :eek:

Anyone can make a program to ask you if you want to do this every time you click something the real money is where it can figure crap out on its own without screwing things up, or needing user interaction every 5 sec if not more. :cautious:

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Geez, what a FUD... :rolleyes: :thumbd: How about that you use Clean PC mode, which is what I and lots of other people are normally doing on a freshly installed box? Guess what, you won't receive a single pop up about any installed application, you'll only be prompted on installing new apps which are not on the whilelist and you can either allow or deny those. Learn to use the tool properly and don't blame it for you inability to do so.

5. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Hey this is about OA And Outpost.Can't we have a break from you fanboys here.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Sure, tell StevieE9 to stop his fanboy posts...

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Actually, let's all continue with the thread topic of Outpost vs OnlineArmor: which one? and take the discussion of other firewalls to a more appropriate thread.

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I have used Outpost for a long time back in the day and I have abandoned it after versions have gone off the rails. It seems the newest version of the firewall is coming back to the glory days of Outpost. I haven't tried OA but I have heard good things from people on this board who know what they are talking about. I'll give it a shot sometime but since my reinstallation of windows xp sp2 it is already beginning to slow down and monopolize the hard drive.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You talk about Outpost, but your stats show you're using Comodo so I'll assume the latter. I have OA paid, and I don't even know it's there except when I do an upgrade or install something new. Then I get 2 or 3 pop ups. Try it you'll like it. :D

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That would be a logical assumption since Outpost was abandoned earlier from the other statement.
    But going back to the original question, I would choose neither. ;)

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I use outpost as online armor doesn't do vista. Why that is at this late date is unknown, I'm sure someone will pipe up with in in beta or something. Bottom line is you got zip unless you cover all the major OS...I know their site claims firewall of the year. Howe you win that award but don't cover vista to me is a mystery...just my 2 cents...

12. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I am trialing both of these programs. I switch back and forth with FD-ISR.

Outpost Security Suite Pro 2009 has a big bug in the Spam section with Outlook 2007.

asp_srv.exe causes a crash to Dr. Watson. I have the good Dr. disabled so, no debug information.

Back to Online Armor or I will disable the Spam module in Outpost, depending on which way I go.

13. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Funny thing is that I had Outpost firewall installed for a few days and Outpost blocked an ip address that it said was port scanning and it wasn't. I went through the interface for an hour to find out how to unblock the ip. I could never figure out how and I quickly used FDISR get rid of that software.

I installed OA today and the interface is simple even in Advanced mode. It is informative and at the same time not nagging you every second like Comodo. I can easily add my own rules to close holes and it runs great. I really like the 'Run Safer' mode and the firewall status window. After putting it on a newly installed machine and testing it out today I just paid the 40 bucks. Between OA, DF, FDISR and Avira I think I'll just be fine ;)

EDIT: Wow this is the first time that I have gotten a passing grade from GRC's Shields UP with all ports stealthed.

Do you guys have any tips to make OA even more secure?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  14. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Hi faenil,

Though late to this thread, I'm in complete agreement with the positive comments regarding Online Armor.

Happily, I was using KIS7 when I decided to test drive Avast .. and, discovering and purchasing OA resulted in a conundrum I hadn't anticipated. ;)

Many have already spoken to it's GUI .. and, I too really like the programs presentation/operation. It is intuitive .. a very solid/capable program.

My only experience with Outpost goes back a few years .. and, for whatever reason, it didn't like me nor my computer. I haven't tasted it since then and it's surely evolved. By all indications, it too is a solid program.

You'd be well served by either .. and, you could do much worse than either.

Good luck!

edit: spelling.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  15. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

Hi larryb52,

It just so happens that the Vista version of OA has gone to public beta! It is on their home page under the download link.

ds

16. Ghost_ARCHER

Ghost_ARCHER Registered Member

Agree
    No opinion
    :D That is the point.

OAFree:
    Nice and better GUI than Comodo
    Also it ranks high in M....'s test
    Also, it is relative small in download, not too heavy in resouce.
    And best, it has free version

Some fact:
    Hips start to slow down some program from start after I installed xp sp3 ?
    I am still doubting if it really influenced my p2p
    It can't update automatically, it is updated by reinstall (free), it would not remember old rule after reinstall, and they release new version frequently ......
    The vista version is still in beta. And 64 bits version is still not under consideration.

Outpost:
    2 years ago, the demo version made my computer start super slow, even slower than comodo did.
    GUI was not even as pretty as comodo ---- jetico's GUI is the best btw.

17. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is changed now. New installer has "Upgrade" option.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As I looked (quickly) at OP and made post. I have now installed OA 3 (public beta) and (quickly) looked at OA

No problems up to now (a couple of hours since install). popups as expected from the HIPS with no lockouts or ill effect to the many programs I have installed on this system.

I have become interested in its change of packet filtering, but more time/checking needed before open comment.

- Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.